[Owasp-austin] Phone Call Today (Too good not to share)

Rosa rmontanezxy at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 13:40:46 UTC 2015

wow, I received a similar call about 7 months ago! It was funny because I knew it was a scam from the beginning. Should have kept them on the phone longer and prank them! Kudos to josh for busting them!

Rosa

On January 23, 2015, at 12:08, "Albert R. Campa" <abcampa at gmail.com> wrote:

Should have done this. lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ftRs73dx4s

On Thu Jan 22 2015 at 3:28:47 PM James Hess <hessjd at gmail.com> wrote:

This happened to me about a year ago as well. "Oh really? These errors just started?" I said. He said he was going to help me and proceeded to instruct me to click on the "Start" button. "Are you sure? I don't have a 'Start' button." I said. "It should be at the bottom left corner of your screen," he said. "I use Linux." He hung up.

James

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 2:47 PM, David Vas <david.vas at ni.com> wrote:

I got a similar call and I pretended to play along. I don't know where they called from but they claimed to be from Microsoft's server room, and that they detected an issue. Basically the steps they wanted me to follow would have been enough to give them remote access to my computer - think not necessarily remote desktop, but RPC and the like, that the user can't even notice most of the time. My guess is they either wanted to turn it into part of a zombie network, or install some software they could steal personal information with. After I told him I didn't do anything because I know it's a scam, they quickly disconnected. (I got a second call few weeks later, but then I was the one to disconnect)
Dávid Vas
Programmer Analyst
National Instruments

O +1.512.683.5992

From:        Josh Sokol <josh.sokol at owasp.org>
To:        "owasp-austin at lists.owasp.org" <owasp-austin at lists.owasp.org>,
Date:        2015-01-22 14:39
Subject:        [Owasp-austin] Phone Call Today (Too good not to share)
Sent by:        owasp-austin-bounces at lists.owasp.org

I literally just had the most interesting phone call that I've ever taken. A man called telling me that they had detected errors coming from my computer. I immediately stopped him, told him he was trying to scam me, and told him that I do security for a living. He immediately said "You got me" and then proceeded to have a lengthy conversation with me about what he does, who he is, and why he does it. His real name was Baroon and he is from Uganda. He told me that he will take the user into their Event Viewer and show them the errors there to make them think that there's a problem with their system. Once they see that, he will offer to help them and have them launch a session with them. They will offer to fix it for $300 (which he said is far less than some of the scammers who charge $2k). He first told me that it's the persons fault for being stupid, but then shared with me that he knows it's wrong and he is interviewing and trying to change jobs. I told him that I appreciated his honesty and I wished him well with his search for a more reputable job. Crazy.

Owasp-austin mailing list
Owasp-austin at lists.owasp.org