[Owasp-austin] OT? web application frameworks

Jay Paulson paulsjv at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 01:30:08 EDT 2009

Hi Travis,
I've used CakePHP before.  It is similar to RoR.  I've never used RoR but
CakePHP and it from my understanding use the MVC framework to be more
productive faster.  To give you and example of when I used CakePHP.  At work
I had to take a vast training web site that was entirely static and make it
into a dynamic site.  I taught myself CakePHP in two weeks, built the site
in two more weeks, and had two weeks of testing.  Granted this was a full
time job, but should give you some idea of what it takes.

I would say that frameworks like CakePHP, RoR, etc are good if there are
very specific functionality that you want to create.  However, if you are
just going for a run of the mill web site with a possible blog, calendar,
etc.  I would suggest taking a look at Drupal, Wordpress, and Squarespace.
 Drupal is probably the most flexible out of the three.  However, with that
flexibility comes a fairly complex learning curve.  Wordpress would be next.
 Not too much of a learning curve if you only want to stick to blogging and
regular pages that don't really do much. Squarespace is definitely the
easiest but you can't really do much of anything custom and if you are on a
budget it might not serve your needs.

Anyway, I hope this helps!  Let me know if you have any questions! :)

Jay

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 11:41 PM,
<travis+ml-owasp at subspacefield.org<travis%2Bml-owasp at subspacefield.org>

--
"Innovation is the enemy of the status quo - it puts people out of
business."