[Owasp-appsensor-project] NIST SP 800-137 Initial Public Draft "IS Continuous Monitoring..."

Colin Watson colin.watson at owasp.org
Mon Mar 14 14:30:48 EDT 2011

Hi

NIST SP 800-137 concerning "Information Security Continuous Monitoring
for Federal Information Systems and Organizations"

   http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/PubsDrafts.html#800-137

is inviting comments (until 15th March!).  I read this over the
weekend, and feel it seems to neglect actual real time (referring to
"near real-time" monitoring) and doesn't say very much about
application monitoring at all.  Ordinarily I would do this type of
much more aligned with AppSensor than most other OWASP activities.
Therefore I would like to submit some comments "on behalf of the OWASP
AppSensor project team", and will send the following tomorrow unless I
hear otherwise.  I'm not expecting anyone to read the NIST document,
or parts of it, but would like a sanity check on what I have written.

Colin

================

Introduction
-----------------

The following four comments are submitted on behalf of the OWASP
AppSensor project team, following our own consultation process.

Response
--------------

a)  Page 10 refers to "real-time or near realtime security-related
information", but elsewhere (e.g. pages 1, 2, 6, 7, 13, 14, 29, etc)
the phrase "near real-time" is used instead.  The guidance should
explicity include actual realtime monitoring at each reference to
"near real-time", so that it is not excluded from the guidance.

b)  In "3.2 Role of Automation in Continuous Monitoring", human
analysis will not necessarily be required for the interpretation of
findings in application-layer intrusion detection and response,
because the actions are undertaken in real-time within the timeframe
of the user request and software response.  Human analysis will have
been required to assess, define and implement the policies in advance
instead.  Thus in some situations the steps shown in Figure 3-1 on
page 20 (Continuous Monitoring Process) may be one less, when
"Analyse/Report" and "Respond" are collapsed into a single item.  This
concept also relies on some overlap between the illustrative tiers in
Figure 2-1 on page 8 (Organization-wide Continuous Monitoring) i.e.
the software application combines information from Tier 3 (information
systems) and Tier 2 (mission/business) giving a very low false
positive attack detection rate.

c) The list and descriptions of the eleven security automation domains
In Appendix D (pages D-2 and D-3) does not seem to adequately cover,
or allow for, application-layer intrusion detection and response.
Neither "Event & Incident Management" (section D.1.2) nor "Network
Management" (section D.1.6) describe what is possible when building
intrusion detection & response into the software code itself.  In this
there is full knowledge of the business logic, user session, user
role, user permissions, input data formats, etc, and proactive
defensive measures can be undertaken in real-time.  It is vastly
different to the IDPS described (in D.1.2).  We therefore propose a
twelfth domain of "Application Management".

**** OWASP can provide suggested draft text for this proposed domain
if required, linking the reduction in operational risk to the security
controls in NIST SP 800-53 ****

d) In D.3 Automation and Data Sources", the bulleted list of "examples
of security automation activities" (page D-11), we would suggest
adding a fifth item "Building in application-layer intrusion detection
and response" since it is a relatively new concept, may not be
considered due to lack of awareness and thus the potential benefits
left unexploited.

About the OWASP AppSensor project

This response is submitted on behalf of the OWASP AppSensor project
team.  The AppSensor project defines a conceptual framework,
methodology and example code that offers prescriptive guidance to
implement intrusion detection and automated response into software
applications. The concept has been piloted and is in use defending
real-world applications.

Further information:
· AppSensor project
  http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_AppSensor_Project
· Detection points
  http://www.owasp.org/index.php/AppSensor_DetectionPoints
· Response actions
  http://www.owasp.org/index.php/AppSensor_ResponseActions

About OWASP
---------------------

The Open Web Application Security Project (OWASP) is a worldwide free
and open community focused on improving the security of application
software. Our mission is to make application security "visible," so
that people and organizations can make informed decisions about
application security risks. Everyone is free to participate in OWASP
and all of our materials are available under a free and open software
license. The OWASP Foundation is a U.S. recognized 501(c)(3)
not-for-profit
charitable organization, that ensures the ongoing availability and
support for our work
at OWASP.

Further information:
· OWASP Foundation
  http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Foundation
· About The Open Web Application Security Project
  http://www.owasp.org/index.php/About_OWASP