[Owasp-appsensor-dev] AppSensor v2.0.0 Beta Release

John Melton jtmelton at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 02:24:16 UTC 2014

Chetan,
Once more, responses inline. Thanks again for the feedback.
Thanks,
John

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 11:24 PM, John Melton <jtmelton at gmail.com> wrote:
> Chetan,
> Thanks for the excellent feedback - responses inline.
>
> Thanks,
> John
>
> On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 11:07 PM, Chetan Karande
> <chetan.karande at owasp.org> wrote:
>> Hi John,
>>
>> Great work on beta Release. It reflects all the hard work you have put in.
>>
>> As I am going through the website,  sharing some obeservations /
>> suggestions:
>>
>> 1) Getting Started Page:
>>
>>  I think this note is misleading:
>>
>> If you want to try out a working application, start with one of the sample
>> applications available on GitHub. You should be able to drop them into a
>> servlet container and start them up.
>
> The note _should_ be accurate - the fact that they don't run is an
> oversight. You _should_ be able to drop them in a container and have
> them run.

I cleaned up this note on the site and made it more clear that the
user should read the github docs (see below) to get the sample apps
deployed.

>> Unless I am missing something, starting these sample apps was not as easy
>> dropping them in servlet container. On first attempt the 'maven clean
>> install' command failed on all sample projects, until I realized the
>> repository tag and appsensor-core dependency needs to be fixed for these
>> apps as well. The section immediately below this note does specify that, but
>> it was not very clear that it applies to sample apps. I think it would be
>> helpful to have README.md in each of the sample apps with clear steps on how
>> to build these projects (especially helpful for those like me who are not
>> very familiar with maven based project structure)
>>

> I need to clean these up - they didn't get updated when I made changes
> so they are broken as of now. This is not terrible since they are
> demos, but I'll absolutely correct it.

I cleaned up dependencies here, and then added documentation to the
sample apps parent directory
(https://github.com/jtmelton/appsensor/tree/master/sample-apps)
describing how to deploy the applications locally.

>> Next, even after setting repository and appsensor-core dependency, I
>> couldn't get  sample-appsensor-ws-rest-server and simple-websocket-dashboard
>> to build successfully due to this error:
>>
>> [ERROR] Failed to execute goal
>> org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:3.1:compile (default-compile)
>> on project sample-appsensor-ws-rest-server: Fatal error compiling: invalid
>> target release: 1.7 -> [Help 1]
>>
>> I just ran 'maven clean install'  command  at root of these projects. Please
>> suggest if I am missing anything.
>
> I'll look at this one, but not sure what's going on here. Assuming I
> messed something up with the maven version update and deployment as
> these ran just fine recently.

After cleanup I compiled all of these from a clean clone and
everything worked fine for me. This might be environmental if it still
occurs for you. Let me know if this is still happening and we can work
together offline.

>> 2) JavaScript errors:
>>
>> I noticed a javscript error is thrown while loading each page: Uncaught
>> ReferenceError: $ is not defined. This is due to script tag inside <head>
>> tag for each page. It uses jquery before loading it at bottom of the page. I
>> didn't find any elements with #tabs id in these html files. So thought this
>> script tag has no functional value and can be removed, unless you want to
>> move it at bottom of the page after loading jquery.
>>
>> <script>
>>
>>       $(function() {
>>
>>         $( "#tabs" ).tabs();
>>
>>       });
>>
>>     </script>
>
> Good catch - this was being used for something, but I removed it. I'll
> clean this up.

Removed this and re-deployed the site.