[Owasp-appsensor-dev] AppSensor v2.0.0 Beta Release

Chetan Karande chetan.karande at owasp.org
Thu Sep 18 03:07:21 UTC 2014

Hi John,

Great work on beta Release. It reflects all the hard work you have put in.

As I am going through the website,  sharing some obeservations /
suggestions:

1) Getting Started Page:

 I think this note is misleading:

If you want to try out a working application, start with one of the sample
applications <https://github.com/jtmelton/appsensor/tree/master/sample-apps>
available
on GitHub. You should be able to drop them into a servlet container and
start them up.

Unless I am missing something, starting these sample apps was not as easy
dropping them in servlet container. On first attempt the 'maven clean
install' command failed on all sample projects, until I realized the
repository tag and appsensor-core dependency needs to be fixed for these
apps as well. The section immediately below this note does specify that,
but it was not very clear that it applies to sample apps. I think it would
be helpful to have README.md in each of the sample apps with clear steps on
how to build these projects (especially helpful for those like me who are
not very familiar with maven based project structure)

Next, even after setting repository and appsensor-core dependency, I
couldn't get  sample-appsensor-ws-rest-server and
simple-websocket-dashboard to build successfully due to this error:

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:3.1:compile
(default-compile) on project sample-appsensor-ws-rest-server: Fatal error
compiling: invalid target release: 1.7 -> [Help 1]

I just ran 'maven clean install'  command  at root of these projects.
Please suggest if I am missing anything.

2) JavaScript errors:

I noticed a javscript error is thrown while loading each page: Uncaught
ReferenceError: $ is not defined. This is due to script tag inside <head>
tag for each page. It uses jquery before loading it at bottom of the page.
I didn't find any elements with #tabs id in these html files. So thought
this script tag has no functional value and can be removed, unless you want
to move it at bottom of the page after loading jquery.

<script>

      $(function() {

        $( "#tabs" ).tabs();

      });

    </script>

3) Are you planning to provide sample client app code as well as part of
this or future release?

Best Regards,

Chetan Karande