[Owasp-antisamy] global-tag-attributes and tags-to-encode

Jason Li jason.li at owasp.org
Fri Apr 30 08:58:19 EDT 2010

Vadim,

If I recall correctly, the <global-tag-attributes> element is meant to
support tag attributes such as "title" and "lang" that are widely and
relatively safely used in HTML tags but are not actually part of the
HTML standard.

Similarly, with the <tags-to-encode> element, these are "tags" that
are often encountered in online content that are not actually "tags"
and should always be HTML-entity encoded. For example, online forum
postings often contain <g> or <grin> as a substitute for the smiley
face emoticon. This is not an HTML tag, but the AntiSamy parser sees
the <g> and tries to match it against the AntiSamy policy and rejects
it when <g> can't be found. As a result, the <g> would have been
rejected and the user would be confused about the "danger" of <g>.
Instead, with this directive, you can specify text sequences within <
> brackets that you expect to see in rich text that you're validating
with AntiSamy. Any such "tags" will always be entity encoded.

Hope that helps!

-Jason