[Owasp-antisamy] New attack technique affects antisamy

Jim Manico jim at manico.net
Fri Mar 13 16:41:38 EDT 2009

Jason,

You are right on. Empty tags were first introduced in XHTML 1.0 transitional.

"XHTML, however, also introduces a new shortcut: an XHTML tag may be opened and closed within the same tag, by including a slash before the end of the tag like this: <br/>. The introduction of this shorthand, which is not used in the SGML declaration for HTML 4.01, may confuse earlier software unfamiliar with this new convention."

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML