[OWASP-Alabama] Meeting Overview, Expectations for Next Meetings

owasp-alabama at lists.owasp.org owasp-alabama at lists.owasp.org
Mon Jan 30 21:46:36 UTC 2017

Hey all,
meeting event for February is now up on Meetup.
https://www.meetup.com/OWASP-Alabama/events/237320058/

Daniel,
I fully disagree with your conclusion on not bringing in rockstars.

It has nothing to do with developers who cant escape MySQL queries and has
everything to do with wanting to learn and learning cool stuff.

Yeah, a local guy can teach us about penetrating a server due to bad
developer practices, they can teach us workshops but quality level is
different much of the time.

*Here are the reasons we should bring rockstars in:*
They have a lot of experience talking, so their presentations are actually
interesting.
They provide real world examples both on the attacking side and on the
defending and building side that may not be available at the local level.
They are subject matter experts, the writers of the tools, books, and so on
offering information we could not get otherwise.
They have name recognition and are more likely to attract new people.

I am not suggesting that we replace our monthly meetings with rockstar
presentations, nor are we likely to be able to afford that. I am suggesting
that, like the Houston OWASP group, we do it every few months (they did it
every 3).

Subjectively, every successful user group I have joined back from the Cold
Fusion Birmingham User Group about a decade ago, to the PHP and OWASP
groups in Houston have used external speaks to generate excitement and to
teach cool things.

Just my 2 cents.

--
Mikhail Kozorovitskiy