[Owasp-alabama] 2010 Meetings

owasp-alabama at lists.owasp.org owasp-alabama at lists.owasp.org
Thu Jan 28 12:50:53 EST 2010

Very good input Daniel. I really appreciate you taking the time.
I don't take offense easily, so no worries about that.

One thing to keep in mind is that OWASP is an entire organization devoted
wholly to web security. Reversing, network level ,etc, type stuff isn't
really in play here. Now I totally agree that the lessons that apply to WAS
aren't all new, and are many are totally learned from general application
security.

Now here is where my opinion differs:

In my opinion, WAS is drastically different from application security in
that it is a tiered architecture with many elements that simply don't exist
in binary application security (forgive my spin on terminology, just
differentiating one from the other, although I realize the terminology isn't
correct.)
Let me give a few examples of why I feel this way. Take a standard
client-server binary type application, like AV for example. You have the
software, a socket/protocol, and a server. There are definitely plenty of
attack vectors there, and depending on the design of the software
infrastructure, it could even be larger. But the point is that you control
the client sofware, what capabilities is has, and you control the
socket/protocol, and even the server and how it acts. Lets contrast that
with web applications:
You have a client browser, which you do not control versions or
configuration of. You also have frameworks and implementations of various
underlying sofwares such as flash, java, silverlight, etc, that you have no
control over. Then we are transporting our client/server data over a set of
largely broken protocols that have more holes than a unpatched win 98 box
(little humor =) ). On the server side, it gets even more fun, where you
have a web server, app server, and database server which all carry their own
set of issues at the infrastructure level and at the code level.

All of this to say that I personally feel as though there are enough
significant differences between the two that it warrants a separation. Also
keep in mind that many of the up and coming developers weren't raised on
C++, but were raised on Java and .net. I will say that knowing history keeps
you from repeating it, and the lessons of the past do apply, but I think its
perfectly acceptable to be a web security guy (like me) and not a binary
guy. (loose term) If you are badass enough to do both, and do them well,
then dude, you are a better man that I. =)

I think there is a place for the "big picture" of security, but its not
local OWASP training sessions.

I'm just kicking dialog back and forth here, and I still respect you even if
I don't agree with you. So feel free to continue to express your feelings.
Who knows, you might even change my mind. =)

-Brad Causey
CISSP, MCSE, C|EH, CIFI, CGSP

http://www.owasp.org
--
In security, an action that is not explicitly denied is inherently allowed.