[Owasp-alabama] old news, new news?

owasp-alabama at lists.owasp.org owasp-alabama at lists.owasp.org
Thu Feb 11 13:50:13 EST 2010

So as far as using the ASVS, I find it to be appropriate for more general
type documentation. The problem I run into is when more information is
necessary, for example:

V5.1 Verify that the runtime environment
     is not susceptible to buffer
     overflows, or that security controls
     prevent buffer overflows.

When developing a standardized process, this simple isn't enough information
or detail. It leaves a number of things hanging out there:

1) Who's responsibility is this?
2) What methods were used to 'ensure' that this was truly mitigated
3) What methods were to test and validate they didn't exist in a live-fire
environment
4) What about variations in risk dealing (accept, mitigate, transfer).

So what I'm getting at here is that I LOVE the ASVS, and I've work with MIke
(the guy who wrote it) quite a bit. Problem is, there isn't a link to
anything outside of to provide additional guidance. Hence: this:

http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Common_OWASP_Numbering

This project is one I plan to lead, once it is off the ground. It's primary
goal is to link all available resources to each other, so ASVS 5.1 ==
OWASP-DV-004 (testing guide) or whatever.

-Brad Causey
CISSP, MCSE, C|EH, CIFI, CGSP

http://www.owasp.org
--