[Opa] Compilation of Opa under FreeBSD

François-Régis Sinot francois-regis.sinot at mlstate.com
Wed Aug 31 06:15:05 EDT 2011

Hello Frédéric,

Thanks four interest in Opa. You're of course very interested by a port
to FreeBSD ! (And yes, to my knowledge, you are the first one to take up
the challenge ;-))

> I'm currently using FreeBSD 8.2, and the latest sources from github
> (hash 3f9e48dde0a46e8c1f69ef4e02152c59af2841e1). The configure script
> fails to find libnatpmp and miniupnpc because of a mis-use of readlink;
> I'll fix this later as it seems optionnal.

Don't worry too much about that. We will very likely remove completely
the dependency.

> When compiling, it fails rather quickly. The last lines in _build/_log
> are :
>
> # Target: libbase/tree.ml.depends, tags: { debug, extension:ml, file:libbase/tree.ml, ocaml, ocamldep, quiet, warn_L, warn_Z, warn_error_A }
> /usr/local/bin/ocamldep.opt -modules libbase/tree.ml > libbase/tree.ml.depends
> # Target: libbase/indexer.ml.depends, tags: { debug, extension:ml, file:libbase/indexer.ml, ocaml, ocamldep, quiet, use_ulex, use_ulex_pp, warn_L, warn_Z, warn_error_A, warn_z }
> /usr/local/bin/ocamldep.opt -pp '/usr/local/bin/camlp4o -I /usr/local/lib/ocaml/site-lib/ulex pa_ulex.cma pr_o.cmo' -modules libbase/indexer.ml > libbase/indexer.ml.depends
> + /usr/local/bin/ocamldep.opt -pp '/usr/local/bin/camlp4o -I /usr/local/lib/ocaml/site-lib/ulex pa_ulex.cma pr_o.cmo' -modules libbase/indexer.ml > libbase/indexer.ml.depends
> Command got signal -8.
> # Compilation unsuccessful.
>
> FWIW, running camlp4o with these arguments gives :
>
> opa-dev:~/src/opalang% /usr/local/bin/camlp4o -verbose -I /usr/local/lib/ocaml/site-lib/ulex pa_ulex.cma pr_o.cmo
> Error: don't know what to do with pa_ulex.cma
> Use option -help for usage
> zsh: exit 2     /usr/local/bin/camlp4o -verbose -I /usr/local/lib/ocaml/site-lib/ulex
> opa-dev:~/src/opalang% camlp4o -v
> Camlp4 version 3.12.0

Both problems are very strange; but I'm not sure they are related. We
tried a bit to investigate here, but without much success. As what we're
doing so far in the build process is pretty standard, I think it's a
pure Caml problem. Would you be kind enough to submit this problem to
the Caml comumunity (Caml list, maybe) ?

Sorry I cannot help you more than that.

Cheers,
François-Régis.

--