[Java-project] Static code analyzer

Jeff Williams jeff.williams at owasp.org
Sat Oct 31 15:18:54 EDT 2009

This type of message is inappropriate for OWASP lists. Please refrain from
using OWASP for commercial purposes.  Thanks,

--Jeff

Jeff Williams, Chair

The OWASP Foundation

Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 13:57:07 -0700
From: John Towell <jtowell at agiletechgroup.com>
To: java-project at lists.owasp.org

I was wondering if anyone knew of an up to date tool to analyze static Java
code for security concerns.  We are looking for something similar to.

http://suif.stanford.edu/~livshits/work/lapse/
<http://suif.stanford.edu/%7Elivshits/work/lapse/>

Although this project seems to have been abandoned, last time it was touched
looks to be 2006.   We would be interested in a defined ruleset for
Checkstyle/PMD/FindBugs as an alternative.  I have looked at those tools and
cannot find anything related to security.  Let me know if you have any
information in this area.

Thanks,

-John Towell
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 16:20:31 -0600
From: JIM BIRD <jimbird at shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: [Java-project] Static code analyzer.
To: John Towell <jtowell at agiletechgroup.com>
Cc: java-project at lists.owasp.org

Findbugs has only primitive security checks. I am not aware of any other
open source solutions. Options for commercial static analysis tools include:
- Fortify: www.fortify.com
- IBM (now including technology from the Ounce Labs acquisition) the product
portfolio is often being reorganized, IBM's static analysis tools are
somewhere under the Rational brand or you can find the Ounce Labs technology
directly at www.ouncelabs.com
- Coverity Prevent: www.coverity.com
- Klocwork - offers an inexpensive tool for individual Java developers,
Solo: www.klocwork.com

--
Sudheendra Hangal