[Java-project] [Webappsec] Strut's security extension(HDIV)

Jeff Williams jeff.williams at owasp.org
Wed Jan 31 09:20:57 EST 2007

Roberto,

Thanks for the information.  Based on your documentation, it appears that
HDIV only protects against changes to fields that shouldn't change.  While
hidden fields and the like are certainly an important source of XSS and SQL
injection, editable fields frequently have these vulnerabilities as well.

So if HDIV doesn't protect against flaws related to editable fields (please
correct me if I'm wrong), I think you shouldn't claim to "solve most common
web
application's vulnerabilities" as it's pretty misleading.

In fact, there's a danger with a solution like this that developers will
rely on its protection, and not do input validation or output encoding.
I've had a number of people tell me that they're safe from XSS because
Netegrity stops it.  It only looks at GET requests and does nothing with
POST.  This false sense of security can actually make you less secure.

Here's an idea for you -- if you're not already doing it, why not protect
custom cookies from tampering? You can "eat" them in your filter and add
them back when the request comes back.

--Jeff

Jeff Williams, Chair
The OWASP Foundation
"Dedicated to finding and fighting the causes of insecure software"