[Java-project] Fw: Finish Securing Tomcat Article

Darren darrenslists at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 3 10:56:20 EST 2007

> Do you think any notes about archiving the logs might be useful? I
> have
> more experience with Tomcat 4.1.x than the newer versions, so they
> might
> have some log management tools built in, but rotating catalina.out
> under
> Tomcat 4.1.x can be a hassle.

5.5 uses the commons-logging infrastructure and rotates logfiles
every day.  Rotation is no longer a hassle and per web application
logs (using JDK logging) are easy to create, i.e. place a
logging.properties file within WEB-INF/classes

handlers = org.apache.juli.FileHandler, java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler

mypackage.level = INFO

org.apache.juli.FileHandler.level = ALL
org.apache.juli.FileHandler.directory = ${catalina.base}/logs
org.apache.juli.FileHandler.prefix = mypackage.

java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler.level = ALL
java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler.formatter =
java.util.logging.SimpleFormatter