[Governance] Slack and Privacy

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Mon Jul 27 21:48:20 UTC 2015

One interesting note from staff.

When we suggested a more private/closed service, it was rejected
primarily because it was "closed" unlike the other public facing social
media platforms.  We even paid for and set up a private Salesforce
communication instance that was not shared in any way... and that was
rejected since it was a closed system and not an open platform already
used by our membership. Austin even set up a private server with open
source communication software and almost no one outside of Austin used it.

So we have gone super private, cloud private, and open cloud services.
And by far, the community wants to use open cloud communication
services, as well as *publicly archived email* from our public list service.

I still asked Matt (IT) and Paul (Director) to take a look at this and
did file this via our OWASP comment system so it's not lost track of,
and several staff are on this list. :)

Aloha,
Jim

--