[Governance] Request - Survey - Implementation process on higher decisions

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Tue Aug 18 02:25:54 UTC 2015

My understanding is that the current Committee 2.0 process was born from
the link you just sent. We debated and voted on the final committee
structure and Josh posted it here in July 2014.
https://owasp.org/index.php/Governance/OWASP_Committees

The board or staff would like to get involved when contracts are being
signed on behalf of the OWASP Foundation, which I think is sensible. Do
you think we should change this to a community vote? That would
significantly reduce the empowerment of committees.... Or do you want to
board to stop voting on things and have a community vote on all
board-level issues instead?

Anyhow, here is the current relevant committee voting structure. I think
this is a pretty sensible balance.

    XI. Empowerment

As the goal of this proposal is the empower our leaders to be able to
take action on behalf of the organization, no Board vote is necessary
for any initiative of the committee provided that the following is true:

1) The action is within the stated scope of the committee.

2) If money is required, the action follows the guidelines set forth in
the Community Engagement Funding document.

3) No contracts are being executed by the committee on behalf of the
OWASP Foundation.

4) The action is in line with the OWASP Foundation Code of Ethics and is
pursuant to OWASP’s mission.

If any of these is not true, then the OWASP Board of Directors should be
consulted for approval prior to the committees execution.

- Jim

--
Jim Manico
Global Board Member