[Governance] On ring-fencing finances, communicating with OWASP and more

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Mon Aug 17 22:12:13 UTC 2015

The OWASP foundation made a promise to chapters - years ago - that we
would isolate earned funds from each chapter for that chapter only. We
then set up a regional conference profit sharing program for chapters
and gave chapters a percentage of membership funds for members that
flagged their chapter. This was all set up years ago before the election
of any current board member.

I do not think the foundation should break that promise (if not verbal
contract) to chapters around the world and reverse current chapter
ringfencing.

But we can certainly change that policy moving forward if needed, which
is actively being discussed by the board, staff and others.

I look at this as many things in computer science - as a tradeoff, not a
battle between good and evil.

Again, my hope is that we work together as adults to collaborate on a
better policy if one is needed. *There is no way we are going to make
everyone happy*. If you mess with chapter ringfencing, you are going to
upset a lot of very hard working and active chapters. If we leave the
ringfencing, it's going to limit major investment capability of the
foundation.

This is not a cut and dry issue in my opinion. I can see the benefits
either way. I am most concerned about what the community thinks is best
and what is best for the foundation and serving our mission.

Also, the whole board voting process slows things down. That "slowing"
factor, like adaptive key generation algorithms, is by design. It takes
a voting quorum of board members to significantly change policy or
embark on major investments. So for those of you who are frustrated by
what you perceive as "bureaucracy" then when what is the alternative? Do
you want one "king" to just make all decisions? Do you want any member
to just dictate new policy? I think for sure governance can be very
inefficient - but no governance is even more inefficient.

So please, if you want to see something changed - there are positive
avenues to do so. *Propose an bylaw change to the board or just ask
questions on the board list,* *talk with members of staff,* *participate
on the governance email list and trigger good debate* - while emailing
the leaders list is a good way to get community involvement in your
cause - please consider following  through with action that works with
the foundation to actually make change beyond leaders list email.

*Communication Resources:*

 1. Contact the Staff w/ Tracking: https://www.tfaforms.com/308703
 3. OWASP Governance List:

Aloha,

--
Jim Manico
Global Board Member

PS: When the OWASP foundation did not use tracking forms, we received a
large number of complains that support issues fell through the cracks.
Now that we have a contact form with a tracking ID, we get complaints of
bureaucracy. I think it's more important to NOT let issues fall through
the cracks...