[Governance] Request - Survey - Implementation process on higher decisions

johanna curiel curiel johanna.curiel at owasp.org
Mon Aug 17 17:04:22 UTC 2015

 >I don't think there is anything preventing a project from doing the same,
but I haven't seen it done at this point.

I think we need to create Project Summits in the form of events with the
whole purpose to gather funds for projects .Open samm has done this and I
think we can try that. Fo that we need the support of the staff Business
liaison, Event manager, just as they put their work and efforts in Events
and appsecs. Here cut share between OWASp staff time and projects can also
be done.

 >OWASP has a project funding bucket.
Look, Denver chapter has around 50K in their bucket. The richest Project is
ZAP with 10k... but thats is the exception. Even worse when you look at
chapters outside US or EU, mine has only USD40 dollars. Most projects have
Zero Dollars.
And the limits right now are a support but do not help to get important
things moving like OWASP Academy portal, Leaders like Azzedine assist and
show case his chapter or project or other more complex initiatives. Or
major improvements or promotions to their projects.

  >Remember that the Board is just a handful of leaders who were elected to
set the compass.
  Yes but how do they know where to go, that's why the survey. The survey
is the compass. And the leaders are elected to listed to the community.

And About committees...
The only existing active committee right now is the Project Review (which I
still call myself a taskforce). I haven't see much initiatives or
participation from other committees. So the committee concept in theory
seemed like a great idea but in practice is not working because in my eyes,
creating a committee is creating a mini board inside OWASP. We do not want
to create oligarchies in the end.

  I thik we should cut off that comitee idea and be more practical. More
like this

  Example:

   - John Lita wants to create an academy portal but developing it costs
   money and resources that volunteers alone cannot be easy pull off(owaspa
   project was the same and died, just like many educational initiatives)
   - John must create a proposal with defined goals and how to reach them.
   He joins other volunteers in this effort. No need to be a commitee.
   -  John & Claudia create a survey and seek support of the community
   -   If the idea has major feedback and volunteers, then John has the
   support from the staff to execute including looking for sponsors using
   crowdsource funding portals
   - Staff monitors development and results of the actions taken
   - Staff reports results to the community back

This is in my eyes how I have been working in the end, because , as
volunteers, available time mostly depends on one or 2 passionate
individuals like John-Lita, which are more dedicated and the rest follows...

Now if we want to change things, don't tell me to set a committee, because
Josh , this has not work so far.

 Allow me  and let the staff know that they should support me and any other
volunteers seeking for implementing their ideas ;-).
Lets cut the red tape with committees and let people know that if they want
to do something,

   - Contact the staff.
   - Set a survey and gather support
   - Need more money? Set a crowd funding project @
   https://www.kickstarter.com under OWASP
   - Volunteers implement idea or project with the support of owasp staff
   and other volunteers

How do we get this idea to action?
Shall we create a survey?
Do you need to discuss this on a board meeting?
How do I get empowered and let the staff know that as a volunteer I have
your support for this?(if I do?

You see...how dependable I'm from the board to be able to execute?

Off course I can always do this on my own but them I better do it without
OWASP...

Regards

Johanna