[Governance] Transparency Policy

Bil Corry bil.corry at owasp.org
Sat Jun 21 13:01:18 UTC 2014

Hi Dinis,

I am not familiar with nature of the conversations between board members and staff, but my own thought is that email communication that happens outside of a public list should be considered private, as that is the expectation that most people have with email.

If we want board member communication public, then perhaps a new public list can be created that can be copied on for all communication deemed to be public.  Or perhaps new email addresses for the sole purpose of business communication are created.  Otherwise, I'm not sure how to disambiguate private/personal messages from official duty messages, nor how to even provide access to those messages.

Hopefully others will chime in.

As for employee reviews, unless the employee chooses to make it public, it should be confidential.  Requiring the employee to consent to making their performance review public as a condition of employment would have to be reviewed by an attorney – I doubt this is possible, otherwise employers would coerce employees to sign away a variety of rights.

- Bil