[Governance] Creating new list for violation requests and related discussion (was Re: JOSH SOKOL...)

Bil Corry bil.corry at owasp.org
Fri Feb 28 11:39:47 UTC 2014

The purpose of this list is to discuss policy and governance issues, as related to the OWASP Foundation.

If there is a conflict that can be resolved by clarifying OWASP policy (or creating a new policy), then this list is appropriate.  An example would be, "I'm the chapter leader, do OWASP policies allow me to hand out my business card to attendees at a chapter meeting?"

If there is an ethics violation, or a breach of fiduciary responsibilities, or similar, then those complaints should be sent directly to the Compliance Officer.  It sounds like some want it to be more transparent, thus my suggestion to NOT use the governance list, but rather create a dedicated email list for those complaints.

If the distinction between policy conflicts and ethics violations is too slight, then I suggest moving all complaints to a dedicated list.  The primary purpose of the governance list is to shape and clarify policy, not implement it.

I hope that clarifies my request.

- Bil