[Governance] JOSH SOKOL - CEASE AND DESIST CONTACT WITH CHRIS GATFORD

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Mon Feb 24 06:34:13 UTC 2014

Christan,

I never had contact with Chris before and I haven't had contact since.  It
would be completely unprofessional of me to have only considered your side
of all this as fact and not attempted to seek clarifications from others as
well.  Especially when the crux of your allegations is that Chris Gatford
was the one behind the "sock puppets".  I don't work for you and don't need
to seek your permission to speak with anyone, at any time, or anywhere.  As
for Chris calling the police, this is a natural reaction when someone
attempts to pull your pants down in public as he says you did to him.  I
had nothing to do with that.  Every person that I've spoken with and every
effort that I've made was in direct response to your request for
reinstatement.  In regards to your specific ethics complaints:

1) What law or ethical principle have I broken?
2) Where is my conflict of interest or how have I damaged the reputation of
employers, the profession, or the association?
3) How have I INTENTIONALLY injured or impugned the professional reputation
of colleagues, clients, or employers?  Who?
4) Who have I been disrespectful to and in what way?
5) What relationship do I have that impairs OWASPs objectivity and
independence?

Please be very specific citing any and all evidence that you have as these
are extremely serious allegations.  Throwing such allegations around
without proper supporting cause is pure libel.

As for the police, please do have them contact me as I would be more than
happy to provide all recordings to them along with email records, Skype
records, and social media.  I have done absolutely nothing wrong here in
maintaining my objectivity in order to make an informed decision on a
request that you made to the Board.  My correspondence with the Board will
show that I actually supported giving you another chance up until you began
attacking my integrity and rejected my attempts to find a peaceful way to
settle this.  Not only that, but it will also show where you made threats
to do exactly as you are doing now; attacking OWASP because we weren't
interested in caving to your will.  The Board is not interested in
compromising to those who bully or intimidate others in order to get their
way.  I look forward to speaking with the police and should have plenty of
time in the afternoon tomorrow to do so.  Please provide them with my email
and I will coordinate the call directly.  Thank you.

Sincerely,

Josh Sokol