[Governance] Compliance Committee?

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Mon Dec 8 22:10:18 UTC 2014

Joerg,

Sure, not a problem.  To understand what we are talking about, let me start
with how we handle any issues that may arise today.  At the beginning of
each year, the OWASP Board of Directors appoints a Compliance Officer as is
specified by our current Whistleblower Policy (
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Governance/Whistleblower_Policy).  This
person is supposed to be someone who is not currently serving on the Board
of Directors so that they can evaluate any issues that arise as a trusted,
but unbiased, advisor to the Board and Executive Director.  Martin is our
current Compliance Officer and we have entrusted him to independently
investigate and report on a number of situations like those that are
mentioned here (
http://owasp.blogspot.com/2014/10/report-of-complaint-against-owasp-board.html).
The problem is that Martin is just one person and this is purely a
volunteer role.  We've had a large number of these investigations this year
that he's handled and it's become quite overwhelming.  In order to avoid
long delays due to the overwhelming work load and to add additional
objectivity into the mix, the idea was proposed of having this Compliance
Officer role filled by a committee instead of an individual.  The jury is
still out (pun somewhat intended) on what exactly that means, but that's
why I put it out there for discussion.

One of the platforms that I ran on for the OWASP Board elections was my
desire to return power back to the people of OWASP.  The resurrection of
the OWASP Committees (
http://owasp.blogspot.com/2014/07/owasp-committees-20.html) was a step in
the right direction, IMHO, and having a separate group of individuals (a
committee) whose role it is to handle concerns of ethics violations,
problems between staff, Board, and members, etc is another step in the
direction of creating checks and balances for our organization.  Thus, I'm
putting it out there for others to comment on and help to shape the future
of OWASP Governance.  Does that help to explain what a "Compliance
Committee" is about?

~josh