[Global_membership_committee] Honorary Memberships - Vote Scheduled for 12/21 @ Membership Meeting

Michael Coates michael.coates at owasp.org
Fri Dec 10 17:52:26 EST 2010

I got some great feedback from Dinis and he also highlighted a few items I had forgotten about:

Another dimension of the "honorary membership" was to officially identify the leaders in OWASP and provide benefits for all the hard work they've contributed to their project / OWASP overall.  These benefits include:

- Free attendance at OWASP Conferences
- Free training as space permits at Conference training events
- Use of discretionary funds for OWASP related items

The fact that these items were overlooked indicates another issue - we need to update the membership page with this info!  Expect a whole new beta page of info soon. There are lots of new items!

With the above in mind, the issue is a little more complex.  I don't want to eliminate the above benefits at all. They are a great perk and an advantage to move forward.  But we still have some tough issues to tackle.

1. The issue that has brought about discussion of "honorary memberships" is its value and the active maintenance of this distinction.  For this to work at all, we need a scalable model that will keep this info up to date.  When approach is to flip the model from centralized to distributed.  Instead of a committee reviewing all of the potential leaders and determine everything they've done, we could instead ask everyone that is interested to complete a form indicating what they've done for OWASP/OWASP project/ local chapter / committee in the past 6 months. Then we just evaluate this data as it comes in.  Just an idea, but we need something that works with minimal effort if we want this idea to stay.

2.  Looking for other's thoughts: What is required to be officially an OWASP member? Does either one qualify or should paying $50 be the only factor? Will it leave a bad taste in someone's mouth if they contribute extensive time to a project but don't wish to pay $50 per year and thus can't claim to be an "official" member? Or should $50 be just another way to support OWASP (instead of the donation of your expertise/time)?

Looking forward to other's thoughts.

Thanks,

Michael Coates
OWASP