[Global_industry_committee] GIC meeting scheduled for Friday Mar-1, 17:00 UTC/GMT - follow-up

Tobias tobias.gondrom at owasp.org
Mon Mar 11 08:17:01 UTC 2013

Jim,

I hear you, but am not fully sure about whether there are any underlying
conflicts or your statements is mostly for information purposes.

1) Personally I may have a slightly different opinion on that, but see
no conflict to work in this frame, especially as I so far always had the
feeling, that working together with our staff is working well.

2) As I mentioned, I consider this a done deal, and as I said before, I
am a supported of the initiatives (in fact being one of the first people
to use the process last year) - so I see no point in discussing "water
under the bridge". I rather focus on going forward in the frame we have
now.

3) Not sure what you mean by that, but as I said, I rather focus on what
we do now going forward.

4) Agree with regards to the other committees. And with regards to the
GIC to some extend that it was not as active as it should have been.
But just to be very clear, the GIC worked on several items last year
with success:
- drove the CISO Guide to good maturity
- kicked off the CISO Survey
- Industry tables at AppSec US (though we had a learning curve and made
some organisational mistakes in the process)
- UK Nominet Consultation
- ENISA Who-Is-Who Directory
- in South America we establish a relationship with the OAS. Thanks to
that, we could present the OWASP to all the South America CERTs (on
march 2012) and as a result of that the CERTs include the OWASP training
materials as part of they trainings.
- several requests from major corporates (e.g. Oracle) about specific
projects could be answered (though the answers were not always satisfying).

We can discuss on the value of these activities for OWASP and if you
think they were worthless or have better ideas, I am very interested and
keen to learn more.

5) And just so we don't have a mis-perception on cause and effect: in
case of the GIC this re-emergence of activity was mostly due to cleaning
up our team membership and re-energizing the team. To be clear, most, if
not all of these activities of the GIC started before the announcement
of the "initiatives".

Again, I am a strong supporter of the initiatives and can understand
that the committees were shut down.
In the case of the GIC, I am also a strong supporter of putting these
tasks now in the form of the GIAB as we discussed in Korea.

And I hope that we will have your full support for this move.

Best regards, Tobias