[Global_industry_committee] GIC meeting scheduled for Friday Mar-1, 17:00 UTC/GMT - follow-up

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Sat Mar 9 16:12:58 UTC 2013

My candid (and personal) thoughts on this matter.

1) I feel the full time staff should be driving operations of OWASP more than the board.

2) This initiative (to end committees) was driven by our staff. This started before I became a board member and I felt it was prudent to support the full time staffs initiatives that had started before I joined the board.

3) We were supposed to transition the closing of committees over several months instead of ending them in one announcement. This was a mistake.

4) The GIC committee was fairly inactivate for the past few years. Key word: years. Other committees suffered the same problem. If I am wrong here, please say so. I think this situation really encouraged the GIC members to take additional action which is a great thing. This is the main reason the committees were closed.

5) Almost every committee has seen increased activity because of this move!

I am very sorry for any hurt feelings. But I think the most important thing is *activity* and being in-service to the mission. I do not think we need committees to spread awareness which is the core of our mission. But we do NEED active volunteers like you!

I am more than happy to discuss this in more detail if you like.

I am VERY impressed with the direction the new "Industry Board" is moving in. But the criteria to success is active volunteerism in support of the OWASP mission.

Fair?

Aloha,
Jim

>>> https://www3.gotomeeting.com/join/910785446