[Global_industry_committee] Fwd: Re: Fwd: SANS workshop in DC in Aug -- OWASP involvement?

Rex Booth rex.booth at owasp.org
Wed Jun 15 13:56:36 EDT 2011

FYI

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: Fwd: [Global_industry_committee] SANS workshop in DC in
Aug -- OWASP involvement?
Date: 	Wed, 15 Jun 2011 13:53:45 -0400
From: 	Rex Booth <rex.booth at owasp.org>
To: 	Ari_Elias-Bachrach at navyfederal.org, arvind05 at gmail.com,
caleb.mcgary at gmail.com, Jack Mannino <jack.a.mannino at gmail.com>

That's great - thanks for the feedback, guys.  We also have a couple
other people who are willing to step up and help.

I'd like to get a package of capabilities together to send to SANS.
Basically something saying "we can provide you with X, Y and Z.  Let us
know what you're interested in" to accompany a value proposition.

It sounds like we all have speaking/presenting experience.  I'd like to
gather the following from each of us:

1) An abstract of any presentations we have available to provide
2) A brief bio of ourselves

I'll also then develop a marketing component to accompany this.

I've included an example of an abstract/bio for a presentation I'm
giving in a couple months.  If you can keep your abstracts and bios to
about this length, that would be fantastic.

I'd like to submit all of this to SANS by Monday.  Does Sunday at noon
sound like a reasonable deadline for the abstracts and bios for you all?

Thanks!
Rex

*_Title:_*  Do Your Web Applications Open the Door to Hackers?

*_Abstract:_*

Cybersecurity is a multi-faceted topic which requires attention to a
variety of issues in order to develop a comprehensive security posture.
In the past, approaches to cybersecurity have focused primarily on
perimeter defenses, network security, and platform hardening.  While
such efforts have improved cybersecurity by reducing the vulnerability
of organizations to a variety of threats, criminals have now shifted
their efforts to a more vulnerable component of an organization's IT
presence: their applications.

  In this presentation, we will provide attendees with an overview of
application security, using web applications as the framework for our
discussion.  We will discuss the impetus for the increased threat from
criminals to web applications, provide a broad overview of a web
application and the inherent vulnerabilities, and discuss some specific
threats and how they tie into risk to organizational risk.  We'll
complete our discussion by providing a live demonstration of a website
hack and discuss some high-level tactics and strategies for risk mitigation.

*_Bio:_*

*Name: *Rex Booth, CISSP, PMP

*Title*: Senior Manager, Cybersecurity

*Organization*: Grant Thornton

*Voice: *(703) 785-9390 *E-mail*: Rex.Booth at us.gt.com
<mailto:Rex.Booth at us.gt.com>

Rex is a Senior Manager in Grant Thornton's Public Sector practice and
leads their Cybersecurity Solution group. He has over ten years of
experience providing application development, risk management and
information security services to government agencies, private industry,
and financial institutions.  Since joining Grant Thornton, Rex has led
various information security and risk management engagements including
FISMA, IV&V, SOX, and OMB A-123 engagements as well as identity
management and system certification and accreditation efforts. During
his tenure at previous employers, Rex designed and developed complex
distributed web-based applications. As a member of a managed security
services team performing research and development, he co-architected and
implemented a scalable information detection and prevention information
aggregation solution for use in a real-time 24/7 information security
monitoring system, correlating and reporting on thousands of devices. He
has presented on the topic of information security and assessment
methodologies to various institutions and is currently a global
committee member for the Open Web Application Security Project (OWASP).
Rex holds a BA in Political Science and Computer Science and an MS in
Information Systems and Technology Management.