[Global_industry_committee] [Owasp-leaders] OWASP Brazil manifesto

Lucas Ferreira lucas.ferreira at owasp.org
Wed Jul 13 21:53:02 EDT 2011

Hello Sarah and Colin,

I am sorry I did nor answer before, but I couldn't locate Colin's
email in my mailbox. Anyway, my answers are inline below.

Best Regards,

Lucas

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 16:02, Sarah Baso <sarah.baso at owasp.org> wrote:
> Lucas -
> Would you be able to answer Colin's questions below?  Thanks.
> -Sarah
>
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 4:00 PM, Colin Watson <colin.watson at owasp.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Lucas
>>
>> Is this cost for Brazilian press and government officials?

Yes. The focus would be nation-wide press and the Federal Legislative
Representatives (Deputies and Senators).

>>I don't
>> know anything about Brazil, but in the UK I don't think press releases
>> are used to lobby government... it's much more about making personal
>> contact.

The rationale here is that, if we gain attention from the press, we
may gather more support for the manifesto and also get the attention
from government officials. Almost no Brazilian government official
will know OWASP, and they are eager for a space in the newspaper. If
we get the press to talk about the manifesto, we could generate
interest from politicians and get an opportunity to work with the guys
at the top.

>>How much time would BRL 4000 equate to, and how many press
>> and government officials did the person propose?

It should be one month of work, targeting all the top national news
media (papers, sites, radio and TV) and all of the Brazilian congress,
with special attention to legislators that work in committees related
to the manifesto topics.

One important point is that, after lulzsec and Anonymous, the
Brazilian proposed law on cyber crimes got new momentum. We could jump
in this wagon too. For example, we had a public hearing in the
Brazilian Chamber of Deputies about this proposed law that almost
doubled accesses to the web site and generated news reports. One thing
I learned from last year's AppSec Brazil is that good press relations
can put us in the news. You can see the results here:
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/AppSec_Brasil_2010_(pt-br)#tab=Links_e_Imprensa
(only in Portuguese, sorry).

Regards,

Lucas