[Global_industry_committee] GIC Outreach event proposal - draft

Sherif Koussa sherif.koussa at owasp.org
Tue Feb 15 10:06:50 EST 2011

All,

Good start. IMHO, it might not have gained traction or support because it
talks about OWASP and what it can do and why and how...etc. It is all about
Us and not the target audience. Any executive will drop it out after the
first two lines. I will start with the letter for example.

Let's agree on a few things:

1- The person reading this is probably some where between a Technology
Manager, to a CISO or some senior manager in between. I will call him *Mark*
.
2- Mark is EXTREMELY busy and he gets an average of 100-200 emails per day
3- I am pretty sure 10% of these emails are pretty similar to our letter and
Mark is really not interested in anything that doesn't help him meet his
quarterly or yearly objectives.

So, right off the bat, Mark will toss anything to junk.

*How can we avoid tossing the email\junk to junk:*

- It has to have a strong yet not salesy title.
- Or have a CISO in our network send the letter or email to Mark

This will guarantee, somehow, that the letter or email will be opened.

Ok, we got that, *how can we get Mark to keep reading:*

- We have to establish credibility in the first couple of lines
- There are a few ways to do that, one way is to mention a problem we KNOW
that Mark has (and there are a few identified in the finance outreach
meeting) and what OWASP did to solve it. And suggest if he is interested to
know more.

*This has to be followed by a phone conversation*, no matter how well the
letter is written, a Technology Manger or a CISO will NEVER go spend half a
day without knowing EXACTLY what he is up to, so the outcome of the letter
should be a phone conversation with a GIC member to sell Mark more on the
idea.

My 0.02$

Regards,
Sherif