[Global_industry_committee] [Owasp-board] Industry Survey

Rex Booth rex.booth at owasp.org
Thu Aug 18 20:16:41 EDT 2011

Eoin and Jeff - good questions and fair concerns.  Let me briefly
address them.

Eoin - I understand your concern about GT riding the OWASP wave.  A
couple points to hopefully assuage:

 1. I'm the primary point of contact within GT.  Yes, of course, I
    recognize the value of being associated with OWASP, but in my 5+
    years in the org, I've only acted in ways that respect the mission
    and culture.  I will ensure that my firm does not violate our values.
 2. The draft MOU is very clear about what GT's role will be in the
    survey.  Our participation outside of the MOU will be limited to
    individuals conducting surveys on behalf of OWASP - just as will
    dozens of others from various firms across the globe.
 3. Other than sponsorship of the survey (earned through hundreds of
    support hours related to survey execution, analysis and production),
    the advantage we receive from this activity will be available to all
    other OWASP participants - face time with CISOs - but it will be
    strictly controlled.  I intend to host an "interview training
    session" for all interviewers (GT and non-GT) to explain how we
    should conduct ourselves.

Jeff - regarding the goals and output.  I've attached a slide deck that
provides an overview of our intent and approach.  This may answer some
of your questions.

In addition, I should note that GT has extensive experience developing
and executing meaningful, professional surveys for various
organizations, including AGA and TechAmerica.  We know how to do this
and do it well.  I'm happy to host a conference call between OWASP and
our primary survey manager if anybody is interested.

Please let me know if I can address any other questions.

Thanks,
Rex