[Global_education_committee] Moving to Global Initiatives Program & Retiring Committee Structure

Sarah Baso sarah.baso at owasp.org
Mon Apr 1 03:00:56 UTC 2013

Global Education Committee Members -

First and foremost, I wanted to thank you for your participation, input and
advice as members of the Global Education Committee.  There are many
opportunities for outreach with students, academia, and training that you
all have been involved with in one way or another and that has not gone
unnoticed.  OWASP has certainly benefited and expanded on a global level
due to your efforts and energy.

As you all know, the committee structure is being retired but we hope that
you will still be involved in the OWASP Community, contributing to many of
the same education-focused initiatives or getting involved in other
community initiatives that interest you.  The goal of this transition is to
motivate and encourage even MORE input into initiatives that interest
volunteers without those individuals having to commit to monthly committee
meetings or a structure that often required more than individuals were able
to keep up with.  In the 5 or so months since we launched the Global
Initiatives, almost 300 volunteers have signed up to help with one of the
many volunteer job postings related to Conferences, Projects, Chapters,
Industry, Membership, Education, and Connections.  We hope that if you
haven't already signed up to help with one of these opportunities - you
will consider getting onboard!

*Education Committee Legacy Initiatives:*
Please visit the Global Initiative Wiki
Page<https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Initiatives_Global_Strategic_Focus>
for
the most comprehensive listing of volunteer initiatives and information,
including forms to collect your new ideas for the community.

Are there other initiatives that relate to conference activity that you
would like to be involved in?  Send me an email or fill out the "Start your
own initiative" form <http://www.tfaforms.com/262386>.

*Ongoing Communication:*
The OWASP Staff hosts* webinars on each the 2nd and 4th Thursdays of each
month*.  This is an opportunity for you to learn more about what is going
on in the OWASP community and discuss any concerns or questions that you
may have about initiatives or other OWASP topics.  We hope that this will
be a forum similar to the monthly committee meetings, but opening up
participation to a wider range of participants.  Information on the
Webinars can be found on the Global Initiative Wiki
Page<https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Initiatives_Global_Strategic_Focus>
as well as the OWASP Connector (email newsletter).

The* OWASP Connector *is another opportunity for you to keep up with what
is going on with the OWASP community (as well as share your news).  The
Connector goes out to OWASP-All (all subscribers to all OWASP mailman
lists) every 2 weeks.  Previous OWASP Connectors can be viewed on the OWASP
Blog <http://owasp.blogspot.com/>.  If you have information you would like
included in the Connector, please submit it to one of the OWASP Staff
Members or through the Contact Us form<http://owasp4.owasp.org/contactus.html>
.

Again, I want to thank you for your contributions up to this point and
encourage you volunteer to help with one of our Global Initiatives, join a
Global Initiative call, and submit information for the Connector.

Best,
Sarah Baso

--
Director