[Global_education_committee] Google Summer of Code

Hani Benhabiles hani.benhabiles at owasp.org
Sat Mar 17 20:40:55 UTC 2012

On 03/17/2012 09:17 PM, Jason Li wrote:
> [...]
> application.
>
> A very special thanks to Simon Bennetts (ZAP), Fabio Cerullo (ESAPI
> Swingset), Arshan Dabirsiaghi (AntiSamy), John Melton (AppSensor), and
> ESAPI (Chris Schmidt) for answering our call for specific project
> ideas (https://www.owasp.org/index.php/GSoC2012_Ideas)! In previous
> years, we have not had enough project leader support to generate the
> specific ideas needed to make a successful application - so know that
> your extra effort made all the difference!
>
> In the meantime, what are the next steps? Well, we need to attract
> college students that want to do some coding for us!
>
> And we only have three weeks to do it! Before April 7th, we must
> convince students that they want to work on an OWASP project and
> submit an application to Google with their idea. After that, Google
> will tell us how many proposals we're allowed to choose from the
> applications.
>
> So leaders, we once again need your help!
>
> Project leaders - think about what you would like to do with your
> project and whether you are willing to COMMIT to being a good mentor
> (bad project mentors will hurt OWASP's chances next year so please be
> honest about your time commitments). If you're ready and willing, then
> add an idea to the wiki page if you haven't done so already:
> https://www.owasp.org/index.php/GSoC2012_Ideas
>
> Chapter leaders and Education Committee members - reach out to your
> local colleges and encourage students to take an interest in an OWASP
> project and submit a project idea:
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/google/gsoc2012/owasp
>
> Everyone - help us spread the word!
>
> Thanks again!
>
> -Jason
>
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 6:41 PM, Hani Benhabiles
> <hani.benhabiles at owasp.org <mailto:hani.benhabiles at owasp.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 02/14/2012 11:16 AM, Hani Benhabiles wrote:
>
>         Hi all,
>
>         The Google Summer of Code program was announced last week [1].
>         Is there any chance to see OWASP taking part of it ?
>         It would be very interesting to have students working on
>         either existing projects (like ZAP, ESAPI...) and boosting
>         them or on ideas for new projects and thus helping OWASP
>         better take out the word and reach its goals.
>
>         [1]
>         http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2012/02/google-summer-of-code-2012-is-on.html
>
>         Cheers,
>         Hani.
>
>     OWASP is among the selected organizations for the Google Summer of
>     Code :)
>     https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/accepted_orgs/google/gsoc2012
>
>     Wow... I never thought that after this email, someone will take
>     the effort of applying, people proposing many ideas, and better
>     yet, seeing OWASP being selected.
>
>     Kudos to Fabio Cerullo, Jason Li and everyone who has put time and
>     effort to make it happen.
>
>     Again, I know a whole active OWASP Student Chapter who's

If I'm not mistaken, the number of spots is related to the number of
applications an organizations receives (about 1/8 or so).

   I think that the mentors contacts should be added to the ideas page
as well as an IRC channel (something like #gsoc-owasp ) for discussion
between mentors, owasp leaders and interested students.

   Of course, it would be great if other owasp members add ideas for new
projects or enhancements for existing ones, it would diversify the
choices, increase the number of interested students and thus the number
of granted spots.

   Dennis (and Dinis), could you please elaborate more on porting O2 to
mono (and other ideas related to O2) ? It would be great if you could
add them to the ideas list, if you have the time to mentor some students
of course.

Cheers,
Hani.

Email: hani.benhabiles at owasp.org