[Global_education_committee] Google Summer of Code

Jason Li jason.li at owasp.org
Sat Mar 17 20:17:42 UTC 2012

Thanks Hani!

I'm thrilled that OWASP has been accepted into Google's Summer of Code
program!

The real credit goes to Fabio for putting together such a strong
application.

A very special thanks to Simon Bennetts (ZAP), Fabio Cerullo (ESAPI
Swingset), Arshan Dabirsiaghi (AntiSamy), John Melton (AppSensor), and
ESAPI (Chris Schmidt) for answering our call for specific project ideas (
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/GSoC2012_Ideas)! In previous years, we have
not had enough project leader support to generate the specific ideas needed
to make a successful application - so know that your extra effort made all
the difference!

In the meantime, what are the next steps? Well, we need to attract college
students that want to do some coding for us!

And we only have three weeks to do it! Before April 7th, we must convince
students that they want to work on an OWASP project and submit an
application to Google with their idea. After that, Google will tell us how
many proposals we're allowed to choose from the applications.

So leaders, we once again need your help!

Project leaders - think about what you would like to do with your project
and whether you are willing to COMMIT to being a good mentor (bad project
mentors will hurt OWASP's chances next year so please be honest about your
time commitments). If you're ready and willing, then add an idea to the
wiki page if you haven't done so already:
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/GSoC2012_Ideas

Chapter leaders and Education Committee members - reach out to your local
colleges and encourage students to take an interest in an OWASP project and
submit a project idea:
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/google/gsoc2012/owasp

Everyone - help us spread the word!

Thanks again!