[Global_education_committee] [Owasp-leaders] Google Summer of Code

Fabio Cerullo fcerullo at owasp.org
Fri Feb 24 17:44:34 UTC 2012

Thanks Dinis. I will use parts of this document to propose OWASP as a GSoC
mentoring organization.

For those leaders interested to participate, our first deadline is *March
9th*. At that stage, our submission as mentoring organization will be
reviewed and based on the quality of the proposals made by ourselves a
decision will be made by Google.

I'm actively looking for OWASP Tools project leaders that could benefit
from the help of students coding for their respective projects either by
adding a specific functionality, module or even improving the code. Simon
(ZAP) is gathering a set of enhancement requests that will be really useful
when the time comes for Google to review our application. A similar
approach should be taken for any project that is willing to participate in
GSoC.

ZAP enhancement requests as GSoC candidates:
http://code.google.com/p/zaproxy/issues/list?can=2&q=label%3AGSoC-Candidate

If you think your OWASP project could benefit from GSoC please get in touch
with me.

Also, if you are not responsible for a particular OWASP project but would
like to help by being a mentor please let me know. Being a mentor means
that, if our proposal is accepted, a student/s will be allocated to you so
you could guide them in their coding tasks.

Some OWASP leaders already expressed an interest in becoming a mentor for
their projects:

- Simon Bennetts (ZAP)
- Chris Schmidt (ESAPI)
- Arshan Dabirsiaghi (AntiSamy)
- Ryan Barnett (ModSecurity CRS)
- John Melton (AppSensor)

I've started drafting a wiki page with further details about GSoC that you
could access below.

https://www.owasp.org/index.php/GSoC

Also, I'm collating all enhancement requests in the page below until *9th
March*.

https://www.owasp.org/index.php/GSoC2012_Ideas

Any questions, please let me know.

Thanks,