[Global_education_committee] [OCC] Proposal of a new OWASP Supporter Type - Government Supporter

Thomas Brennan tomb at owasp.org
Thu Feb 23 14:59:25 UTC 2012

Inline, my personal position on your question.

Semper Fi,

Tom Brennan
http://www.linkedin.com/in/tombrennan
9732020122

On Feb 23, 2012, at 8:54 AM, "McGovern, James" <james.mcgovern at hp.com> wrote:

> I have the following questions regarding the Government:
>
> 1. If US Government types participate. Are they "open" to sharing some of their security practices such that the community benefits, or will they behave "closed"

Anyone including individuals that work for governments around the world today participate and contribute and reference OWASP here is just a few

https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Industry:Citations

It is clearly in a organizations best interest to assist in the support unclassified materials by design at OWASP on behalf of their governed societies without bias or prejudice. Knowledge is economic and political empowerment.

As for "sharing" we encourage it but leach'in is ok too..

> 2. Are we supportive of all types of "government" participation? Would we say no if the CISO of Iran, Libya, etc wanted to participate or would we too welcome them with open arms

I look forward to acknowledgement of our community by other communities including supporting governments. Acting in a government neutral manner we are a one of many places for continued technical evolution in society. This goes for religions too... and aliens ok maybe not the gray aliens..

> 3. How can we ensure that the increased government participation will be beneficial to the OWASP community at large? Will this invite suboptimal government behavior where the FBI will start profiling who attends meetings?

We can not ensure any volenteers support or effort OWASP can provide operational guidance.

As for demographic and meeting attendance that too is "appsec fightclub" is open to anyone we have "no s3crets" <sneakers movie referrance+2> and promote the use of chatham house rules.