[Global_education_committee] Google Summer of Code
fcerullo at owasp.org
Thu Feb 16 12:53:07 UTC 2012
Looking at the FAQ it seems that there are a few questions that need
to be answered in order to become accepted as an organization.
Could you please provide me with the following info (probably you
answered these already)?
1) Describe your organization. << I think I could figure that one out ;-)
2) Why is your organization applying to participate in Google Summer
of Code 2012? What do you hope to gain by participating?
3) Did your organization participate in past Google Summer of Codes?
If so, please summarize your involvement and the successes and
challenges of your participation.
4) If your organization has not previously participated in Google
Summer of Code, have you applied in the past? If so, for what year(s)?
5) What Open Source Initiative approved license(s) does your project use?
6) What is the URL for your Ideas page? << I will create one similar
to the one you created.
7) What is the main development mailing list for your organization?
8) What is the main IRC channel for your organization?
9) Does your organization have an application template you would like
to see students use? If so, please provide it now.
10) Who will be your backup organization administrator?
11) What criteria did you use to select your mentors for this year's
program? Please be as specific as possible.
12) What is your plan for dealing with disappearing students?
13) What is your plan for dealing with disappearing mentors?
14) What steps will you take to encourage students to interact with
your project's community before, during and after the program?
15) Are you a new organization who has a Googler or other organization
to vouch for you? If so, please list their name(s) here.
16) Are you an established or larger organization who would like to
vouch for a new organization applying this year? If so, please list
their name(s) here.
On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Jason Li <jason.li at owasp.org> wrote:
> That's great if you have some time!
> Our previous app was denied without much explanation so I don't know exactly
> what would help our application.
> I *suspect* though it was because our project idea list
> (https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Request_for_Proposal_List) was
> somewhat pie in the sky rather than concrete tangible things.
> Unfortunately, in the past (as in the present), the GSoC application period
> seems to sneak up on us and project leaders usually can't turn around some
> concrete ideas for improving their projects before the deadline.
> Therefore I think having a few concrete goals or ideas for ZAP (and/or other
> OWASP projects) will help the application.
> I'll see if I can dig up our previous application so you have a starting
> On Feb 15, 2012, at 5:01 AM, Fabio Cerullo <fcerullo at owasp.org> wrote:
> I just had a chat with Simon and he is willing to recruit mentors/students
> to help him with ZAP.
> I'm willing to give out some cycles and register OWASP in GSOC as a
> participating open source organization.
> Then Simon could propose the project and start the recruiting process...
> more projects then could follow.
> Any words of wisdom before we kick off with this initiative?
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 2:36 PM, Jason Li <jason.li at owasp.org> wrote:
>> If it's like past years, we have to apply as a mentoring organization.
>> Requires a list of potential projects and a stable of committed mentors.
>> On Feb 14, 2012, at 9:16 AM, Konstantinos Papapanagiotou
>> <Konstantinos at owasp.org> wrote:
>> > I have a couple of students that would be interested. How do we get
>> > this started?
>> > [looping in the GEC...]
>> > On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 12:16 PM, Hani Benhabiles
>> > <hani.benhabiles at owasp.org> wrote:
>> >> Hi all,
>> >> The Google Summer of Code program was announced last week . Is there
>> >> any
>> >> chance to see OWASP taking part of it ?
>> >> It would be very interesting to have students working on either
>> >> existing
>> >> projects (like ZAP, ESAPI...) and boosting them or on ideas for new
>> >> projects
>> >> and thus helping OWASP better take out the word and reach its goals.
>> >> 
>> >> http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2012/02/google-summer-of-code-2012-is-on.html
>> >> Cheers,
>> >> Hani.
>> >> --
>> >> M. Hani Benhabiles
>> >> OWASP Algeria SC founder and president.
>> >> http://www.owaspalgeriasc.org
>> >> https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Algeria_Student_Chapter
>> >> Email: hani.benhabiles at owasp.org
>> >> Blog: http://kroosec.blogspot.com
>> >> Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/kroosec
More information about the Global_education_committee