[Global_education_committee] Dead Effort?

Kuai Hinojosa kuai.hinojosa at owasp.org
Tue Oct 4 23:39:54 EDT 2011

Hi Team,

Sorry for my late response. I have been wanting to reply to this thread for
a while but had not gotten a chance to catch up with my OWASP spam! :D

I wanted to add that the company I was working for at the time had hired
several interns from Columbia and NYU as a result of conversations with key
contacts at these two universities and thanks to posting internship
opportunities in their career sites. I believe it was around 10 students or
so (the time of the posting had no effect by the way). So having posted
internship opportunities in universities career site was extremely helpful
indeed.

I took the lead wanting to help out with this idea but, then struggled
because I  did not have the cycles to structure the initiative as a full
project, which I believe was the main issue with this effort and criticism
within our group. As far as I recall when we started to talk about this,
Arkadi, Anurag, Dan Guido and I wanted to pilot this idea and see where it
would go first. I may add, I had provided instructions and contact
information for Dartmouth and NYU at the time and nobody else besides me
provided any internship opportunities. I think only Tom Ryan posted an
opportunity in the OWASP wiki and that was about it.

I strongly believe this initiative has lots of potential but if the group
wants to make this a full project, more people need to step up and start
drawing up "the plan" that can be measured by the local OWASP board
standards.  I certainly do not have the cycles to do this at the moment.
However, I can assist building relationships with key contacts or
communicating with universities we have already established contact with.
Therefore, I would not consider this dead but, I would rather ask Arkadiy,
Anurag or anybody else with cycles to start helping drawing up a plan and
take the lead.

--
Kuai Hinojosa
http://www.owasp.org/.