[Global_education_committee] OWASP Marketing Plan - an Introduction

Antonio Fontes antonio.fontes at owasp.org
Wed Apr 27 06:54:10 EDT 2011

Great initiative.

If possible, I'd wish we also integrate answers to these questions:

OWASP as an organization:
- How are similar initiatives (not appsec related, but other communities
working on similar models) present online?
  - their website
  - their PR
  - their social network presence
  - their community building strategy
  - etc.
- Who is in the OWASP right now?
  - numbers
  - countries, regions
  - chapters + chapter leaders
  - individual members, per chapter, per country
  - corporate members, per chapter, per country
  - academic members, per chapter, per country
  - collaborators
  - board / management

OWASP as a competitive initiative:
- Do we have competitors, as a whole?
- Do we have competitors, locally?
  -> public sector lobbying
  -> conferences
  -> other events
  -> website as a source of information
  -> references / tools / projects
  -> what are the competitors strengths/weaknesses
  -> what are our opportunities?

OWASP as a website:
- How is the OWASP website currently used?
  - quantitative measurements: how many hits and uniques? from where?
and when?
  - qualitative measurements:  what are the landing pages? exit pages?
what are the search terms? what are people doing when on the website?
how many editors vs. readers?
- Spoken language of visitors:
  -> who is looking for what?
  -> is the content translated for that population?
- SWOT analysis of the OWASP website:
  -> what should we remove?
  -> what should we add as a minimum?
  -> what can we add as opportunities?
- Homepage (https://www.owasp.org) content analysis
  - same as above
- website structure:
  - 1 site for all?
  - 2 sites: 1 institutional + 1 knowledge base wiki?

OWASP as an online/offline presence:
- what are ALL owasp sources of online presence?
- what are ALL owasp sources of offline presence?
- who is owning each source?
- what is each presence's objective?
- what are all advertising operations in progress? who owns them?
- are there opportunities for merging efforts?

OWASP as projects (products):
- Do projects answer the following fundamentals?
  -> segmentation: do we know all target audiences for our projects?
  -> targeting: do we associate our projects to specific audiences?
  -> placement: can we reach the project material as expected?
  -> promotion: where is the targeted audience located? how does it
communicate? do we promote the project where it should be promoted?
  -> cost: do we show the cost of acquiring a project? (please don't
answer "it's freeeee!" some projects require more effort than others)

- What is done wrong?
- What is done right?
- What can be done as an opportunity?

OWASP as merchandising:
- What do we sell?
- What do others sell?
- What do we sell the most?
- What do we sell less?
- Do we have marketing operations associated with our merchandising?
- What is done wrong?
- What is done right?
- What can be done as an opportunity?

antonio