[Global_education_committee] IBWAS'10: Letter to sponsors

Sandra Paiva sandra.paiva at owasp.org
Fri Oct 29 12:44:18 EDT 2010

Hi Carlos et al,

I have already spoken to Martin (we were discussing another issue) and he
has confirmed his presence on both days – Conference and OWASP Training. He
will deliver two modules at the Training and will still make the two
presentations at the Conference that I think had already been agreed with
you.

As for Matteo and the remaining potential trainers, if you concur, me and
Paulo will make an initial list of people to be invited to deliver the ‘free
for OWASP members’ training and, to maximize their presence here in
Portugal, we propose that we invite them also to be presenting at the
Conference.

Having into account the known budgetary constraints, the criteria proposed
to build this list is the following:

·        Invite the European trainers previously contacted who had already
showed interest in providing paid training in the Conference and that, under
the current frame decided for the event, maintain interest in participating
as trainers despite the fact that there will be no payment for it;

·        Invite mainly and firstly European OWASP members who are proficient
in OWASP Projects and capable of presenting them;

·        Try and compress costs as much as possible so as to create the
conditions to have someone also from Latin America participating as
trainers. We also propose we give priority to those who are involved in this
Conference’s organization and are being carbon copied.

We will send you this list for your review before sending the invitations
out.

Thanks,

Sandra

Sandra Paiva

 <http://www.owasp.org/index.php/User:Sandra_Paiva> OWASP Training Manager

IM:  <mailto:nfteodoro at hotmail.com> nfteodoro at hotmail.com
LinkedIn:  <http://www.linkedin.com/in/nunoteodoro>
http://www.linkedin.com/in/nunoteodoro
e-mail:  <mailto:nuno.filipe.teodoro at gmail.com>
nuno.filipe.teodoro at gmail.com
mobile: (00351) 919370496

Em 28 de outubro de 2010 14:57, Juan Carlos Calderon Rojas <
<mailto:juan.calderon at softtek.com> juan.calderon at softtek.com> escreveu:

I strongly suggest you make it simple, remove all the "hay" and just tell
what happen in a polite way, for example:

- Avoid too much explanation on what has recently happending in Portugal
(paragraphs 2, 3 and 4), but DO mention what specific events are causing the
conference to be moved and changed price.

- Mentioning several scenarios were explored is a good point to keep, this
is not an arbitrary desicion, also mention "we" are the "conference
organization team" and took the desition in consensus. And by conference
organization I don't mean all of us on this list but you guys over there in
Portugal that are doing all the hard work.

About the offerings, some things you can do to drive leads to sponsors are:

1. Do a "potential customer" tour, gather all the professionals (no
students, just IT people and execs) at one event break and walk them to each
stand for an special small talk about their product

2. Do sponsor sessions, allow the sponsors to have the podium for 10-15 mins
during or after the breaks (never during lunch!) for them to deliver their
message

3. Make a Panel and invite the sponsor techies to expose what they do at
their company AND IT IS OF INTEREST FOR THE AUDIENCE. No marketing specific
talk but good technical stuff and maybe technical (and real) competitive
advantages.

If any of these is used then make sure to mention it also in the letter to
give sponsors some more tranquility that targeted audience will be able to
hear from them.

Hope it helps, regards,

Juan Carlos

  _____