[Global_education_committee] OWASP Secure Coding Competition

Mark Bristow mark.bristow at owasp.org
Wed Nov 24 17:29:14 EST 2010

Fabio,

Funny you should be mentioning this.  I've been working with the projects
committee to set up a competition just like this (in fact I have a baseline
spec done and have started working a implementation plan).

My concept was to provide developers requirements a few days ahead of the
competition and provide a cloud based VM.  The entrants would than get thoes
days (say 5) to develop a basic web application based on the requirements.
For each feature implemented, they get a set amount of points, some features
are required and some are more risky than others.  Then we have a team of
pen-testers attack the applications for a fixed period of time (same team
works on all apps, and same amount of time to be fair).  For every
vulnerability the testers find, points are deducted.  Team with the best
score at the end of the competition wins.

Not sure if it's an exact overlap, buy may combine the "fun" of a CTF with a
developer/secure coding spin.  I'm calling it Secure the Flag.

I think we could easily build in a "tournament" type system and have
regional/global winners.  My initial thought was to take this competition to
developer conferences (like Java One) and offer prizes, but your model could
work too.

-Mark

--
Mark Bristow