[Global_education_committee] Request for OWASP educational information

Sandra Paiva sandra.paiva at owasp.org
Wed Nov 17 15:13:16 EST 2010

Hi Kuai,

No, I am not. I have replied to Jim because it seemed to me an excellent opportunity to engage a potential partner in the OWASP Academies discussion.

Still, with regard to the registration for educational supporters that you mention, I am, of course available to help the GEC. Bear in mind, though, that I have been hired for 3 months with a very specific plan – operationalise the OWASP Academies concept and manage the chapter-led OWASP Training initiatives – and in that sense, I don’t think assuming routine tasks that extend beyond this time frame would be beneficial.

Thanks,

Sandra

Sandra Paiva

 <http://www.owasp.org/index.php/User:Sandra_Paiva> OWASP Training Manager

From: "Sandra Paiva" <sandra.paiva at owasp.org>
Date: November 16, 2010 12:05:52 PM EST
To: <jim.burkman at gmail.com>
Cc: "'kuai hinojosa'" <kuai.hinojosa at owasp.org>, <global_education_committee at lists.owasp.org>, "'dinis cruz'" <dinis.cruz at owasp.org>, "'Paulo Coimbra'" <paulo.coimbra at owasp.org>, "Dave Wichers" <dave.wichers at owasp.org>, "Eoin Keary" <eoin at owasp.org>, "Jeff Williams" <jeff.williams at owasp.org>, "Matt Tesauro" <matt.tesauro at owasp.org>, "Sebastien Deleersnyder" <seba at owasp.org>, "Tom Brennan" <tom.brennan at owasp.org>
Subject: RE: Request for OWASP educational information

Hi Jim,

My name is Sandra and I have been hired by OWASP in mid-October as a Training Manager exactly to support OWASP’s intention of operationalizing and developing the concept of OWASP Academies.

This concept, which has been underlying in the Global Education Committee’s work, pretends to be a frame under which work should be done with Universities, Polytechnic Institutes, IT Schools and other Academic institutions with a view to establish solid relationships and develop with these organisms ways to collaborate and participate in the design of courses focused on web application security.

The questions you pose on your first email of this thread are exactly the ones OWASP is trying to answer so as to setting a frame of terms, conditions and goals for its relationship with potential partners (governmental agencies, academic institutions, individual trainers, etc). Hopefully, this process will lead us to a solid model for the OWASP Academies and to an enlargement of OWASP’s active role in Web Security education.

As you may know already, OWASP will hold its Global Summit in February 2011, in Lisbon (Portugal), where the Organization’s strategy for the next couple of years will be discussed. Our intention is to do, in these few months that precede the Summit, some preparatory work that may be used to facilitate and help in the discussion that, in the Summit, will focus on this area.

On this note, a two-day’s meeting is being planned for January (final dates are still to be decided) where some of our members and partners who, one way or the other, have already established links with universities will get together to start discussing the operational aspects of the OWASP Academies’ concept. My view is that it would be extremely useful if you wanted to join us and participate in the debate  from the beginning – would you be available for that?

I am very much looking forward to having your thoughts!

Many thanks, best regards,

To: global_education_committee-owner at lists.owasp.org
Subject: Request for OWASP educational information

I'm trying to get a handle on the academic+OWASP relationship by looking at the website but I admit to being at a bit of a loss.  I'd appreciate some guidance.

I'm interested in a relationship between Oklahoma State University and OWASP.  Specifically, I'm a faculty member of the Management Science and Information Systems department in the Spears School of Business.  We provide the information assurance classes at this university, and are an NSA/DHS National Center for Academic Excellence http://www.nsa.gov/ia/academic_outreach/nat_cae/index.shtml.  I would possibly like to contribute to the Global Education Committee/OWASP Education Project, and also see what materials we might include in our curriculum.  I've joined the mailing list for that committee.

There is no local OWASP chapter near me.  Perhaps OSU can collaborate with OWASP on creating a local chapter, or integrating some OWASP visibility in the OSU Information Security and Assurance Club (ISAC) meetings, of which I am the faculty advisor.

In short, I'm interested and I am in a position to involve OSU in a positive relationship with OWASP.  I just need to clearly understand what that relationship would entail and what benefits both sides might bring to the table.

Thanks!

--
Jim Burkman, Ph.D.
Visiting Assistant Professor