[Global_education_committee] Global Education Committee 2009 -2010 Report

kuai hinojosa kuai.hinojosa at owasp.org
Sun May 2 21:27:47 EDT 2010

On May 2, 2010, at 7:33 PM, Nishi Kumar wrote:

> Hi Kaui,
>
> Annual report looks good. I was looking at the GEC committee Wiki
> and Targets had following initiatives:

> Train the trainers
> Create an online assessment and training portal
> OWASP Boot Camp Project
> OWASP CTF event
> Speakers Bureau Project
>
> What has happened on these fronts?

Unfortunately, a lot of these just fell through the cracks as some of
our members have been inactive. I will let the GEC members leading
those initiatives provide a status update other than what was posted
on the wiki a while back. With that said, I know some of these
initiatives such as the speakers bureau project are pretty much done
but have not been advertised, Martin correct me if I am wrong.
Furthermore, I can see items like the Train the trainers and the
online assessment portal be replaced with the CBT project and the
training initiative we have been discussing.

I want to take this opportunity to ask the inactive members: Mano
Paul, Eduardo Neves and Andrzej Targosz to please get back to us and
provide an status update for those tasks they have agreed to take the
lead on. If we do not get an update in the next month or so we more
likely assigned new takers or replace it with another task as it seems
to be the case for the online assessment and training portal.

For the current active members I want to propose the following, if you
or anyone you know can contribute to these initiatives in anyway
please take the lead or send them our way. We need to start
"recruiting" people who like us share a passion for application
security and do want to volunteer some cycles to make a positive
impact in the industry. I understand when we first started this
committee we feared to have too many cooks in the kitchen and thereby
no getting much accomplished, but this approached did not help us in
the long term and I think it is best to have more people who have the
cycles to volunteer their time and help us make progress. Thoughts?