[Global_education_committee] Membership Requirement for Conference Training

kuai hinojosa kuai.hinojosa at owasp.org
Mon Jun 7 11:52:45 EDT 2010

On Jun 7, 2010, at 11:13 AM, Mark Bristow wrote:

> GEC and GCC,
>
> Tom Brennan has raised a point that we should require that all
> trainers at OWASP events be OWASP corporate members.  There are two
> schools of thought here (I'm personally on the fence).  As training
> crosses both our committees, I thought I would start a cross-
> committee debate on the issue.
>
> Requiring corporate membership provides a significant incentive for
> training providers to become corporate members.  This would also
> allow us to "vett" training providers more thoroughly and create a
> listing of courses that OWASP Conference organizers could pull from.
>
> On the other hand, requiring corporate memberships may limit OWASP
> event attendees options and have them miss out on some great
> training opportunities.  This also might not completely jive with
> the openness of the OWASP organization.
>
> Any thoughts, comments, concerns?

I share similar concerns. Also, to become a corporate member is
expensive, and how would trainers from Universities be handled, as
would be the case for me?  With that said, I can see the other
benefits mentioned above and it is an interesting idea (Tom has a lot
good ideas btw). A cross-committee debate is a great approach, let us
know when you need representatives from the GEC to discuss this. I
would like to participate and I bet Martin would too.

Thanks,

Kuai Hinojosa
OWASP GEC Chair