[Global_education_committee] [Global_membership_committee] OWASP Local Government Supporters

Paulo Coimbra paulo.coimbra at owasp.org
Thu Feb 25 18:53:44 EST 2010

As far as I can understand the issue at stake, we are dealing here with
cultural and economic variables and, even though nobody has asked my
opinion, being from a peripheral country and having studied a bit of
economics, I can’t help but give my 2 cents.

In my perspective, being a worldwide organization, one of OWASP´s biggest
strengths is its inclusive and non-ethnocentric feature, its respect for
individuality and historic circumstances.  In my opinion, this
characteristic alone is not enough to explain why OWASP has such a
culturally diverse range of contributors but it might be of use to explain
how these contributions have been kept throughout time.

In addition, as I see the process, another distinctive OWASP trait is what
appears to be its continuous willingness to explore economic alternatives to
make itself a sustainable organization – we don’t sell anything; we don’t
pay and we don’t charge for the knowledge we make available, even though we
aspire to have the resources needed to support both our contributor’s
activity and the organizational structure cost. I can of course be wrong but
from my experience, regarding financial balance, it seems to me that OWASP
seeks to create a situation in which both the recognition of its mission
importance and the ethics of its practice have been sufficiently recognized
that a third party can evaluate the association of its name to OWASP´s as a
lucrative partnership, and, by doing so, consider contributing financially
to its mission.

So, having said all the above, I couldn’t find the idea of not charging a
small Peruvian governmental agency anything but interesting  as we would be
creating a situation where any of their potential future suppliers might
come to evaluate an OWASP membership as a competitive advantage. I know this
strategy doesn’t solve our short term financial needs but could be used at
least to deal with situations in which a government arm has the willingness
to support OWASP despite lacking the financial means.

Only my 2 cents, anyway. Thanks for reading.

Paulo Coimbra,

 <https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Main_Page> OWASP Project Manager

Global_membership_committee at lists.owasp.org