[Global_education_committee] Next meeting
carlos.serrao at iscte.pt
Tue Apr 27 14:32:50 EDT 2010
Hi just want to let you know, that although I'm not able to attend, I would like to throw a couple of initiatives that OWASP.PT has been involved - this could be something that might trigger some common points with other organizations/people and to identify opportunities for engaging more work together:
1. We manage to engage our University with OWAPS (ISCTE-IUL). We are always trying to encourage more and more Universities to join the OWASP efforts;
2. We the past year (or so) we have been involved in several "spread the word" events in Portuguese universities to present OWASP and some of its documents and projects to students and teachers. The last one was held last week in Lisbon;
3. In my case, and since I'm a teacher, I'm pushing more and more work proposals to students that are directly related to students. Some of this efforts are starting to pay off, since I'm able now to have more students interested in OWASP work and actually using OWASP know-how to work on their Master thesis.
4. We are also engaged on the Top 10 2010 translation to Portuguese.
Now, some points that I can bring to the discussion:
1. We should continue the effort to try to bring more elements from the academic community to the OWASP boat. I think IBWAS and OWASP AppSec Research are two good examples of how to try to captivate the University cooperation and know-how and to blend it with the current OWASP knowledege;
2. Try to involve more Universities, push OWASP materials into their own subjects and programs, start Master and Post-Graduation programs, create inter-University OWASP training offers, etc.
3. Propose more and interesting challenges to students that are pursuing their academic objectives - master thesis or phd thesis.
Well, this is just my two cents...
On 2010/04/27, at 19:07, Sebastien Gioria wrote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
> Thanks for Rachel(my daughter)
> My points :
> - -Here in France, as I've said we have the first university membership (see ISEP on the OWASP page). I'm in contact with another to do a second....
> - - We will translate New Top10 (co-french leader Ludovic Petit will manage this).
> - - We will partner at RMLL (Rencontre Mondiales du Logiciel Libre www.rmll.info) in July.
> - - We will partner with GSDays (http://www.gsdays.fr): french conference
> - - We need inputs and some return from the OWASP London, as a lot of guys ask me this... (I know Dinis want to meet with me, but dates where not OK because my daughter....)
> That's all I think actually
> On Apr 27, 2010, at 7:57 PM, Martin Knobloch wrote:
>> First things first.. congrats Sebastien!
>> @all, we definitely need to meet tomorrow as planned. Kuai is right,
>> we need to get back on track!
>> Lokking forward meeting tomorrow! Via skype, as usual! ;-)
>> Cheers, Martin
>> On Tuesday, April 27, 2010, kuai hinojosa <kuai.hinojosa at owasp.org> wrote:
>>> Thanks for letting us know a head of time, let's try to find a time to meet in a couple of weeks.
>>> Team - I would like to schedule a time to meet with each of you in an effort to get back on track, understand everyone's availability and what each of you want to accomplish being an active member of this committee. It has been very difficult for all of us to meet as a committee. I understand the challenges being in different time zones, having families and trying to make the time to invest in our community plus make some progress with the goals we had set from the beginning. However, I cannot stress how important our committee is to the community. In fact, many of you signed up for this very reason so let's get back on track and take advantage of all the great opportunities coming our way. Nishi has been doing an excellent job contributing to the training initiative that has been discussed with the London chapter, and other chapters want to follow the same steps therefore it is important we all come together and help deliver what the community needs. Most of the materials are already available in the wiki is just a matter of categorizing and archiving the materials to make it easier for people to download and use. Nishi and I had discussed a few ideas on how to do this and she has already taken the lead putting everything together. We also need get on track with the OWASP News letter, and send updates to Lorna Alamri the project leader to include in the next news letter. We can include the training program, new universities supporting OWASP, other initiatives circulating at the local level such as NYC/NJ internship program and so on. We can also include Nishi's project and request feedback and any other items you guys think might be worth mentioning. We also have a few great conferences coming up, we have the EU conference which we need to support advertising and perhaps see if there is any way we can participate so late at this time. There is also the AppSec USA conference coming up which will be at University of California Irvine. Lots of great opportunities for our committee!
>>> I will be online tonight and tomorrow evening via Skype, if anyone wants to chat let me know via email and I will ping you my skype ID otherwise please send me a time (EST) and date when we could establish a phone call.
>>> Hope to hear from all of you soon!!!
>>> Kuai HinojosaOWASP GEC
>>> On Apr 26, 2010, at 6:27 PM, Sebastien Gioria wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> pleas appologies for my non presence for next meeting, my daughter just come to world Monday 26th April at 7pm55. And I will pass the week with the mum and kids with a little bit of connectivity.
>>> Thanks in advance
>>> Sebastien GIORIA - sebastien.gioria at owasp.org <sebastien.gioria at owasp.org>French OWASP Leader
>>> GSM: +33 (0)6 23 04 00 51
>>> Global_education_committee mailing list
>>> Global_education_committee at lists.owasp.org
>> Global_education_committee mailing list
>> Global_education_committee at lists.owasp.org
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (Darwin)
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Global_education_committee mailing list
> Global_education_committee at lists.owasp.org
Carlos Serrão, Ph.D.
ISCTE/DCTI Assistant Professor | ADETTI/NetMuST Project and Team Manager
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 2673 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : https://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/global_education_committee/attachments/20100427/352ce698/attachment.bin
More information about the Global_education_committee