[Global_education_committee] Iberic Collaboration Project

Vicente Aguilera vicente.aguilera at owasp.org
Mon Mar 9 20:41:14 EDT 2009

Hi all,

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 11:42 PM, Carlos Serrao <carlos.j.serrao at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Paulo and Fabio,
> On 2009/03/09, at 15:15, fabio.e.cerullo at aib.ie wrote:
>

> Hi Paulo,
>
> What Carlos is suggesting is more like an academia type of event... he
> wants to generate collaboration between the universities in Spain and
> Portugal through an information security event...it could definitely include
> the OWASP organization as a promoter/supporter but the main scope here are
> students/professors from those universities.
>

> For me, and mostly motivated by my (more) academic background, it is of
> most importance to have an event that mix the scientific and academic
> community and the most commercial community.

I agree with Carlos. I consider essential the fact to attract people both
from academia and industry to promote OWASP and our projects, and to start a
solid foundation that enables us to grow with guarantees.

> For me, this model, is the one that involves the following steps:

I will add the following points:

0. Define the date of the event
0.1 Define orientative topics for the conferences
0.2 Consider offer practical sessions in parallel with the conference
0.3 Estimate the number and profile of attendees
0.4 Analyze requirements (logistics, marketing)
0.5 Sponsors survey (decide if the event is free)

> 1. the creation of a Call for Papers, open both the academia and the
> industry (it would be super to have papers that mix both worlds);
> 2. the creation of a conference commitee composed of persons from the
> academic world and the industry world - this involves selecting the right
> persons and making invitations;
> 3. define the dates for person to submit papers - three type of papers
> (full papers, short papers and posters);
> 4. the conference can have also specific workshops on selected relevant
> topics;
> 5. the commitee has to review and select the best papers and presenters for
> the conference;
> 6. the accepted authors are notified and the authors have to submit the
> final version of the paper;

6.1 Once we know the agenda, promote the event in local specialized media in
the IT sector

> 7. contact some relevant editors (IEEE, Springer, ACM, etc) to edit the
> conference proceedings (a book that contains all the papers that are
> accepted and presented on the conference);
> 8. people to chair the differenre sessions.
>
> This is a model that can give more credibility to the conference, specially
> for the academic community. I think OWASP can gain much by having this model
> of conference has well.
>

> Vicente from OWASP Spain Chapter is willing to help with the organization
> for this year in Madrid and Carlos is willing to do it next year in
> Portugal.
>

> Yes, it is true. We just need to setup the dates...

For me, it will be a pleasure to collaborate in organizing this event in
Madrid.

> so I honestly don't know if it will clash with the OWASP summit in 2010 as
> this event could be handled separately...
>

> We may study the best fit for this conference and the next summit. We may
> also consider that perhaps this Iberic conference is something that is more
> oriented for iberic people - this depends, I know...

I consider independents the two events. I also believe that this event has a
more local scope.

> There is quite a huge amount of work to do. If we want to make this happen,
> we need to setup the dates as soon as possible.

Yes! if we do this event I think we should start to move and set a date.

Regards,
--
Vicente Aguilera Diaz
vicente.aguilera at owasp.org
Homepage: http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Spain
PGP: 0xD21C1EF8 - D1F0 E0B5 2ACC B4B5 57CD  C427 58B7 CF0D D21C 1EF8