[Global_education_committee] Iberic Collaboration Project

Carlos Serrao carlos.j.serrao at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 18:42:08 EDT 2009

Hi Paulo and Fabio,

On 2009/03/09, at 15:15, fabio.e.cerullo at aib.ie wrote:

> Hi Paulo,
>
> What Carlos is suggesting is more like an academia type of event...
> he wants to generate collaboration between the universities in Spain
> and Portugal through an information security event...it could
> definitely include the OWASP organization as a promoter/supporter
> but the main scope here are students/professors from those
> universities.

For me, and mostly motivated by my (more) academic background, it is
of most importance to have an event that mix the scientific and
academic community and the most commercial community.

For me, this model, is the one that involves the following steps:
1. the creation of a Call for Papers, open both the academia and the
industry (it would be super to have papers that mix both worlds);
2. the creation of a conference commitee composed of persons from the
academic world and the industry world - this involves selecting the
right persons and making invitations;
3. define the dates for person to submit papers - three type of papers
(full papers, short papers and posters);
4. the conference can have also specific workshops on selected
relevant topics;
5. the commitee has to review and select the best papers and
presenters for the conference;
6. the accepted authors are notified and the authors have to submit
the final version of the paper;
7. contact some relevant editors (IEEE, Springer, ACM, etc) to edit
the conference proceedings (a book that contains all the papers that
are accepted and presented on the conference);
8. people to chair the differenre sessions.

This is a model that can give more credibility to the conference,
specially for the academic community. I think OWASP can gain much by
having this model of conference has well.

> Vicente from OWASP Spain Chapter is willing to help with the
> organization for this year in Madrid and Carlos is willing to do it
> next year in Portugal.

Yes, it is true. We just need to setup the dates...

> so I honestly don't know if it will clash with the OWASP summit in
> 2010 as this event could be handled separately...

We may study the best fit for this conference and the next summit. We
may also consider that perhaps this Iberic conference is something
that is more oriented for iberic people - this depends, I know...

There is quite a huge amount of work to do. If we want to make this
happen, we need to setup the dates as soon as possible.