[Global_education_committee] Iberic Collaboration Project

Carlos Serrao carlos.serrao at iscte.pt
Sat Feb 14 07:50:48 EST 2009

Hi Fabio and all,

On 2009/02/13, at 14:01, fabio.e.cerullo at aib.ie wrote:

> Hi Carlos,
>
> Thanks for your mail... you have splashed some great ideas on how to
> kick-start this Iberic Collaboration Project.
>
> Here are some of my thoughts:
>
> 1.  Iberian Web Applications Security Conference: I think this is a
> great idea however I don't want this to collide with OWASP
> "openness"... are you planning to charge a fee to the participants?
> are you planning to get any sponsorship for these events (eg. OWASP,
> software vendors, etc)? who will be the target audience? At OWASP we
> have a Global Conferences committee that could help out with the
> logistics if interested.

I don't kinow if this clashes with the OWASP openess objectives - this
is is a conference, with CfP papers where the researchers and
companies doing WebAppSec can submit their works and present at the
conference. If we can obtain enough sponsorship to make this open and
free to everyone, fine. If not, I don't see any problem of making the
conference a paid conference. As I said on my previous email, this is
a mix conference, scientific and commercial conference - this is our
audience.

> 2. Marie Curie & other EC grants: from my understanding what you are
> trying to achieve here is to get some of the OWASP "incubation"
> projects and apply for a grant, right? We might need to discuss
> which are the most appropiate projects with the Projects & Tools
> committee and then engage with the involved parties. Another
> alternative would be to engage with universities in Spain & Portugal
> asking students for collaboration with OWASP and we provide guidance
> and sponsorship for their projects.

These grants are mostly mobility grants... so the strategy is to have
a work plan for some researcher to move from coutry to country, and to
perform their work there. So what we have to do here is to work
together with Universities and other research groups to propose
projects with researchers to get these grants.

> 3. Common Education offers: we are having some discussions within
> the OWASP Education Committee on how best approach this... we still
> need to organize the materials and there is an effort involved
> translating the documents/materials from english to spanish/
> portuguese.  In addition to this, Martin Knobloch from the Edu
> Committee is preparing an OWASP Boot Camp training that could fit
> into your Summer School proposal.

Ok.