[Global_education_committee] Invitation: GEC mee3ting @ Tue Jul 26 8pm - 9pm (global_education_committee at lists.owasp.org)

Christian Heinrich christian.heinrich at owasp.org
Tue Apr 6 00:21:12 EDT 2004

Jason,

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 11:24 AM, Jason Li <jason.li at owasp.org> wrote:
> Christian,
>
> I imagine the Global Education Committee has their own affairs to take
> care of during their meetings.
>
> I see that you are seeking the "endorsement" of the Global Education
> Committee for an idea
> (https://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/global_education_committee/2011-June/000899.html).
>
> As an organization that is driven by the contributions of volunteers,
> the OWASP community has always rallied behind people that have
> produced something of significant value to OWASP and to application
> security. Rather than spend time trying to get endorsements and buy-in
> from various parties, the best OWASP contributors simply get to work
> on their ideas and go produce something.
>
> If someone has an idea, they should flesh out the idea and produce a
> concrete, usable deliverable. If that deliverable has demonstrable
> value, the community will undoubtedly recognize the effort. But an
> effort that provides no value will not be recognized by
> the community, even if it has been heavily endorsed by various
> parties.
>
> The OWASP CBT *Project* is a project run by its project leader, not by
> the Education Committee. If there is a perceived shortcoming in any project,
> anyone is welcome to create their own updated content to submit to the
> current project leader. Or they can even produce another project entirely
> in the same space. In other words, rather than spending time and effort
> trying to get the endorsement of a committee, they would simply create
> their own training module and share it with the community.
>
> As always, content at OWASP is available under an open source license,
> so someone could even build off of existing materials to produce their
> own updated module (with proper attribution) to share with the community.
>
> Producing something of value is the best way to gain recognition and
> support within the OWASP community.

Since I have known Martin from
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Australia_AppSec_2008_Conference/Agenda
and I considered him to be a personal friend, i.e. most recently he
let me stay at his house during HITB Amsterdam 2010/OWASP NL Chapter
Meeting and hence we had multiple discussions about the GEC.

Out of respect to Martin, I would prefer to at least make the GEC
aware of these "educational" deliverables rather than work in a silo
of which the unintended consequence can be observed within
https://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/owasp-leaders/2011-March/004947.html

--
Regards,
Christian Heinrich