[Global_conference_committee] OWASP Conferences & Demos & Open Source Projects

Michael Coates michael.coates at owasp.org
Fri Jun 17 12:04:36 EDT 2011

Lorna,

Here are some more concrete ideas on the Open Source Demo Area.  The ideas for the OWASP Projects could also work well at the blackhat demo space we are pursuing.

1. Overall Messaging
Key message is that this area is to promote free and open material.  Ideally we could limit to groups that have nothing to sell. However, if we choose to include any "hybrid" companies (example: Burp is free but offers paid upgrade) then we must stress that this is not a booth to sell anything. Simply demo and showcase a commitment to free open products for app security.

2. Potential Targets
- OWASP Projects - Open to anyone that nominates. Need some sort of process to decide based on available space (see below)
- Open Source Projects - Mozilla, Apache Django, Spring, Ruby on Rails,
- Community Focused Projects - Google Reps for Google Summer of Code Project?, Hackers for Charity?
- Sort of Free Projects - Burp, Snort

3. Selection Process for OWASP Projects
Two options here:
1 - Project rep is present at a booth to talk about their project, demo it and more
2 - Project rep will not be at AppSecUSA at all and instead sends a 2 minute video that demos & introduces project. These can loop unattended on a large screen at the OWASP Projects booth.

4. Logistics
One idea is to send out a google submission form which allows projects to self nominate themselves.  We could either setup individual booths per selected project or we could have an "OWASP Projects" booth (or two) that has multiple computers with demos, project leads, and printed take aways with project info. In addition we could have one large computer screen that loops through video demos that have been submitted by other OWASP projects that are not in physical attendance.

Here are a few ideas for the google nomination form:
- Will your have a running demo of your tool/code/project?
- Will you have printed 1-page take away leaflets for your project?
- Will you be present in person or are you submitting a video to run unattended?

We should also standardize on the video format. That could get messy otherwise.  An idea I've seen in the past is to ask for youtube links.  Its pretty easy to setup a playlist of youtube videos and then we're guaranteed that the material will play.

Michael Coates
OWASP