[Global_conference_committee] Chapter Revenue Share From OWASP events

John Wilander john.wilander at owasp.org
Sun Dec 26 17:20:46 EST 2010

Kate (cc GCC and Alison),

What is your take on what I wrote previously:

   - Hosting chapter(s) should get some share of the revenue. This is to
   keep the regional fire burning and grow OWASP around that chapter. If you
   first do AppSec and then go back to mediocre meetings with local speakers,
   the members will be disappointed. In Sweden we definitely felt we had to
   kick it up a notch after AppSec EU this summer. Now we're using our
   chapter's money to backup that next level. So far we've been able to get
   sponsoring so the money is still untouched.
   - Hosting chapter(s) should not get a *substantial* part of the revenue
   and there should be a cap. I don't like the notion of rich and poor chapters
   within the same foundation. After a successful AppSec you get a decent
   one-time sum to beef up your chapter, then you're back on the same terms as
   all the others. We can use the figures from AppSec US and EU 2008-2010 to
   nail a reasonable percentage and cap.

Too fuzzy? Too much of a chapter perspective?

I do want to keep a global perspective and get this important issue right.
Maybe we should ask a few thriving chapters who have not hosted an AppSec
yet? Maybe they have some fresh input?

   /John

2010/12/22 Kate Hartmann <kate.hartmann at owasp.org>

> I have pulled this discussion off of most of the mailing lists and dropped
> it back on Conferences’ plate.  I am really trying to be objective here, but
> honestly, I’m getting frustrated by the comments I’m reading.  I really try
> in most situations to allow the community to be the driver, but as this
> topic will affect the viability of the foundation (mothership), 160+ local
> chapters, and 20,000+ members of the owasp all mailing list I need to try to
> get EVERYONE to think globally on this issue.  We are, after all, the
> conference committee.  According to the Conference committee website:  *The
> Global Conferences Committee was created during the OWASP EU Summit in
> Portugal 2008. The primary purpose of this Global Conferences Committee is:
> determine location, frequency and to oversee and direct global conferences,
> speakers and training.*
>
> It says nothing about allowing chapters build their revenue through hosting
> OWASP GLOBAL APP SEC EVENTS.
>

> Please, guys, let’s stay focused on what we need to do.  If chapters feel
> they need more funding, then they should go through the Global chapter
> committee to make that happen.

[snip]

--
John Wilander, https://twitter.com/johnwilander